Sediment on Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys,

Made my first cider about a month ago. Planning on letting it go for about another 2-3 weeks at least. Fermentation seems to have stopped however the carboy seems to have a sediment, or a beige film on the walls and top of the carboy. This is above the yeast cake going up the side of the carboy and also collected on top a little. Is this anything out of the norm.

Here was my recipe.

-5 Gallons unpastuerized cider, no preservatives
-1KG dextrose
-1/4 tsp K-Meta
-1 tsp [ectic enzyme
-1 package wine yeast

I basically combined all ingrediants and let sit for a day before adding the yeast and airloc. Fermentation seemed good and steady for about 2 weeks, this film I am talking about seemed to form during fermentation.

Any thought?

Dave

What's it look like, can you show us some pictures? It may be mold or bacterial infection.

I will post pics however I wouldnt think it would be a bacteria or mold, it doesnt look like its active or growing, its been the same for about a week or so. It literally looks like the stuff left from the krauzen on a beer kinda only its light beige in colour....but dusted would be a good term as to how it looks on the carboy.

How would I know if its mold/bacteria?

Dave

It would look like it, often whitish in color etc. If it looks like krauzen and has been there without growth, you may be fine. No worries, just saying a picture would give people a better chance at helping.

more than likely that is yeast that stuck to the top and sides of the carboy left there from the krausen during the vigorous fermentation stage - it happens to me all the time. it can be a bit of a humbug to scrub off when cleaning the carboy for the next batch. ( an overnight soak of oxyclean will eat it right off though) :)

Just had my own comparable experience. Pitched dried yeast a few days ago into batch of Baltic Porter. When I did, a small amount of the yeast stuck to the mouth and near the top of the carboy (which was still wet from vigorous aerating of the wort). I thought to rinse it down into the wort, but didn't want to risk contamination. After about 2 days of very vigourous fermentation I notice white splotches at the top of the carboy and around the stopper well above the "high water mark" of the kreusen. I assume it's yeast and harmless - any thoughts or suggestions?

Back