2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
It looks like there are a lot of threads about hops breaking ground so it seems time for a catch-all photo thread.

The stubby one was transplanted the other day but seems to be doing just fine.

The other looks really healthy and is really searching now.

ForumRunner_20130319_145928.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_145942.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_145954.jpg

Lookin' good Reno!

We still have subzero windchills here in Chicago, so...might be a few more weeks for me.

I ordered some rhizomes but they haven't come in to my LHBS yet, but here is the raised bed and trellis that I built for them. I put soil in it yesterday, so it's ready to go! It's only 12ft but I built it so I can raise it next year if I need to. I'm doing one each of Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial.

hop trellis.jpg

Cant wait to get mine up, also waiting for my LHBS to get them in since we cant import them here in Oregon.

Going to be stringing them up the side of my house, which i measured is about 17 feet from ground to eaves. Probably going to be doing some type of pulley system for all 3 plants so they can be lowered and raised easily for partial harvesting, or if they get too aggressive and want to go above 20 feet i can drop some slack to give them more room to grow upwards....

Planning on Cascade, Columbus, and Newport...haven't done anything with Newport really, but ive read it grows like nothing else here in Oregon and is a really clean bittering hop.

Centennial peeking out at the sun.

and a Chinook crown, I uprooted to transplant to a sunnier plot.

0315031352.jpg

0317031733.jpg

I started the Centennial hops, from a rhizome, last year in April 2012.
The Chinook hops, I purchased as a crown, from Greatlakeshops.com, last year in June 2012.
Now i'm prepping the yard, and building bigger raised beds. I want more hops!:mug:

Here is a pic of my townhouse roof top grow. The container is a drilled out 189L rubbermaid container with a 3rd year Willamette. This is first year in the new location. The trellis is made out of a sawhorse bracket and is about 7.5ft high. Not as high as I'd like but i'm going to zig zag the bines a few times before they hit the top. Hopefully it will work out alright.

PIC_0437.jpg

I like the idea of that saw horse bracket for the trellis. I may have to use that for this year. I kind of waited until the last minute and may not have time to plan out and get something more permanent into place. How sturdy does that feel?

I like the idea of that saw horse bracket for the trellis. I may have to use that for this year. I kind of waited until the last minute and may not have time to plan out and get something more permanent into place. How sturdy does that feel?

It feels very solid once I screwed on the diagonal and the side piece under the cinder block. Its wedged into the space which helps the stability too. I contemplated doing a chin up on it- I think it could handle it but it was too high to comfortable reach. I didn't want anything too permanent as I don't know how well it will go over with the neighbours. It didn't cost a lot to make: $4.99 for the brackets, $15 for the 2X4s, $4 for the 2X3s, $1.50 for the screw in eyes.

That's awesome. It looks very clean, too. I don't think the neighbors will mind. And if they do, no homebrew for them! :D

Still waiting on my rhizomes to come in but it probably doesn't matter since it is snowing right now and adding to the 3" we got last night.

Same here. It was 60 degrees one day last week and we got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and it's starting to come down again...Gonna have to tip one up for the midwest weather. I'm glad I didn't plant the couple of rhizomes that have arrived.

Same here. It was 60 degrees one day last week and we got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and it's starting to come down again...Gonna have to tip one up for the midwest weather. I'm glad I didn't plant the couple of rhizomes that have arrived.

h5366FAA5

Pic taken on march 26th in the Seattle Area, 1 of my 6 Cascade's all are about the same in density.

p1070294-59196.jpg

p1070293-59195.jpg

here is the trellis my hops climb up, behind the garden beds.

p1070295-59197.jpg

thanks CR-

It looks like there are a lot of threads about hops breaking ground so it seems time for a catch-all photo thread.

The stubby one was transplanted the other day but seems to be doing just fine.

The other looks really healthy and is really searching now.

What are you growing? What have you had luck with? I am looking at buying some crowns and curious what grows in Reno.

Beautiful yard to display those lovely plants. I love the raised beds.

Thanks I just finished them, wife wanted a garden, so she got 2 5x8 raised garden beds with integrated a sprinkler system. that just happen to water the hops at the same time... MMmmm odd.

i got a few other pics of the beds >> link <<

I wish I could post some pix of my hops from last summer... but I'm sure this forum is only rated PG-13.. ;-)

Needless to say, my SWMBO is really enjoying herself with my hobby.. ;-)

I wish I could post some pix of my hops from last summer... but I'm sure this forum is only rated PG-13.. ;-)

Needless to say, my SWMBO is really enjoying herself with my hobby.. ;-)

Useless, without pictures. I say let the moderators decide.....

What are you growing? What have you had luck with? I am looking at buying some crowns and curious what grows in Reno.
I'm growing Northern Brewer, which likes temperate regions. It works in Reno because while it gets hot in the summer it doesn't really get sweltering. I wish I could remember the link to this sweet pdf that tells you what climates each hop variety likes, but the rhizome page on Midwest Supplies has basic climate information.

Fine.. but if I get banned, I'm blaming you guys... :p

And yes, I censored it.. lol
Well maybe you should put a non-censored version in the Boneyard. It's worth a lifetime membership! :mug:

I spent some time cleaning up the beds in the 35°F sunshine yesterday afternoon.

Cascades and Centennial are also seeking the sun.

2013-03-27_16-48-15_784_zpsc8b2f177.jpg

2013-03-27_16-49-14_376_zps4310ad99.jpg

A few days ago there was a 2ft. snow drift on them.

Back