Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a coed at college named Brie who was of dubious moral fiber. I am one of a chosen few who cannot confirm or deny bottlebomber's assumption.

Simpler Times Lager from Trader Joe's. I think it cost $3/six-pack. Despite my homebrewing tendencies, I have no problem throwing down some cheap beer now and again...but holy crap that beer was terrible. I could barely drink it ice cold and as it warmed up it just got worse and worse and worse. Ugh.

Easily replaces my previous least favorite: Rolling Rock.

I REALLY disliked The Bard. I know its unfair to post a gluten free beer, but wow. Kind of like chewing on an avocado pit thats been rolled in baking soda.

Piel's takes the cake. Definitely only a mid atlantic and New England kind of thing. My cousin picked me up a 6 pack for 2.29 at the grocery store and i couldn't drink it ice cold. Tried to shotgun it instead and i immediately got sick. Thad being said.... never-mind, no redeeming qualities.

Simpler Times Lager from Trader Joe's. I think it cost $3/six-pack. Despite my homebrewing tendencies, I have no problem throwing down some cheap beer now and again...but holy crap that beer was terrible. I could barely drink it ice cold and as it warmed up it just got worse and worse and worse. Ugh.
Oh yes. I brought some of that to Burning Man, and even when served ice cold in the desert heat, it's bad beer.

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager... Made by BMC, and actually tastes worse. Cloyingly sweet and striped of any beer character.

This one right here, Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon.

Tasted like a porter that they just poured liquid smoke into. Absolutely awful. We were at an Oktoberfest event, and it took three or four more beers to get that taste out of our mouth, along with five or six stiff rinses to get it out of the tasting glass. Awful awful awful

This one right here, Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon.

Tasted like a porter that they just poured liquid smoke into. Absolutely awful. We were at an Oktoberfest event, and it took three or four more beers to get that taste out of our mouth, along with five or six stiff rinses to get it out of the tasting glass. Awful awful awful

Totally agree. It's not "crazy," it's malicious. That beer tastes like burnt death. Amongst three beer loving friends, we couldn't get past a few gulps.

image-3803880382.jpg

Beware!

Meisterbrau

Taking it to the next level of swill - Meisterbrau "lite". Thankful everyday that they don't still make this as it was the go to beer for my in-laws back in the day. I don't know why, but this beer always seemed to have "aluminum can" as the dominant flavor.

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager... Made by BMC, and actually tastes worse. Cloyingly sweet and striped of any beer character.

A year or so ago I made the mistake of buying Wild Blue, but fortunately I didn't commit the other 5 to the depths of my sink drain. I made pancakes out of the rest - yes, blueberry pancakes. And they turned out purple.

Ugh. I may have to change mine to Granite City's Wag's Wheat ale. I had some yesterday and it tasted like orange juice. I complain and find out that, yes it was indeed orange juice. Apparently, the centralized brewing facility forgot to add the citrus addition to the brew kettle, resulting in no citrus flavor in the beer. GC's corporate office decided that the best possible way to solve this was just to dump in orange juice when pouring the beer from the tap and not bother to inform the customer. I'm done with that place.

Ugh. I may have to change mine to Granite City's Wag's Wheat ale. I had some yesterday and it tasted like orange juice. I complain and find out that, yes it was indeed orange juice. Apparently, the centralized brewing facility forgot to add the citrus addition to the brew kettle, resulting in no citrus flavor in the beer. GC's corporate office decided that the best possible way to solve this was just to dump in orange juice when pouring the beer from the tap and not bother to inform the customer. I'm done with that place.

Wow. And I get mad enough when they stick an orange slice on the glass rim when serving me a wheat beer.

Hands down worst commerical beer for me was Schaffer - someone put a 6 pack in my fridge in college and we fought tooth and nail to give it away, it was that bad.

Worst 'craft' brew - anything made by the Big Bear Mountain Brewery in Big Bear, CA. One beer tasted like wattered down Miller Light, another like Sunny D... Not a fan, no matter how much I had wanted to be.

It's probably a tie for me.

Butternuts Pork Slap Pale Ale--supposedly an English-style ale, but limited hop flavor and a weird savory taste that was off. Really not very good, although I was drinking it out of a can, which may have killed the aroma.

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA--awful, just awful, like a mouthful of strychnine. I like IPAs and I usually barely notice the intense bitterness if the beer has that lovely bright hop flavor, but this stuff lacks that in spades. Awful heavy metal taste, barely any aroma. Just like miserable, bitter, stale hops. Like sucking the water out of hops after days in a mud puddle. Horrible. And it wasn't just that one bottle; I drink this garbage every time I get a variety pack, and it never gets any better.

However, I have never drain-poured a beer unless it was clearly old and spoiled. I prefer to grin and bear it because, after all, even bad beer is still beer.

It's probably a tie for me.

Butternuts Pork Slap Pale Ale--supposedly an English-style ale, but limited hop flavor and a weird savory taste that was off. Really not very good, although I was drinking it out of a can, which may have killed the aroma.

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA--awful, just awful, like a mouthful of strychnine. I like IPAs and I usually barely notice the intense bitterness if the beer has that lovely bright hop flavor, but this stuff lacks that in spades. Awful heavy metal taste, barely any aroma. Just like miserable, bitter, stale hops. Like sucking the water out of hops after days in a mud puddle. Horrible. And it wasn't just that one bottle; I drink this garbage every time I get a variety pack, and it never gets any better.

However, I have never drain-poured a beer unless it was clearly old and spoiled. I prefer to grin and bear it because, after all, even bad beer is still beer.

Really? You didnt like Pork Slap? Its currently one of my favorites, but that could be just because I love saying Pork Slap.

Pork Slap.

I didn't like Pork Slap, but then again I only tried it once. It's possible that it was an old can, or because beers never have a full aroma drunk out of the can. For me, though, it was the savory flavor that put me off. Like chicken soup and molasses. I should probably give it another try, given how many people have told me they love it.

I didn't like Pork Slap, but then again I only tried it once. It's possible that it was an old can, or because beers never have a full aroma drunk out of the can. For me, though, it was the savory flavor that put me off. Like chicken soup and molasses. I should probably give it another try, given how many people have told me they love it.

Butternuts has quality control issues. I've never noticed much consistency between different batches of the same beer. Their Moo Thunder ranges between mediocre to a top-three milk stout for me.

Keystone Light. Hands down. But I can't be too critical. That dirty 30 got me through the summer cheap! Then I discovered REAL beer and then I found out that I can make my own real beer! And here I am!

Butternuts has quality control issues. Love never noticed much consistency between different batches of the same beer. Their Moo Thunder ranges between mediocre and a top-three milk stout for me.

That makes sense, then. I've heard people rave about them and I've always been confused. I guess I'll give them another try, then.

I was drinking some beers during my Old Chicago beer tour, and the next one up was Angry Monk, I have to say this was the only beer I couldn't finish of all the 110 beers along my way.
Also, in college we needed some cheap beer for beer pong, so we picked up some Lost Lake, wow that **** is horrible!

Brasserie de silly silly scotch. Way too sweet. If not half off bottle would be more disappointed

Pickettj said:
Keystone Light. Hands down. But I can't be too critical. That dirty 30 got me through the summer cheap! Then I discovered REAL beer and then I found out that I can make my own real beer! And here I am!

Drink some more "REAL" beer and I bet you won't think keystone light is that bad. Hell I drink it all the time. Try rouge voo doo maple bacon ale and tell everyone at HBT the keystone light is still the worst.

I just had an evil genious kolsch style. The hops tasted like some form of hallertau, but it was so soapy tasting it was incredibly hard to drink. I don't know if it was a bad bottle, but I don't think I would buy that again, ever.

Bell's Oarsmen has to be one of the worst. Its supposed to be a berliner weisse and about the only thing they got right was the color and abv. Smelled like wet moldy grain...which is fine since a lot of berliners have a weird smell.

Then I took a swig and the first impression was this tastes exactly like vomit. The overall lemonness just enhanced the taste further. Then theres the huge wheat character that just disnt meld well. I know berliners are usually half wheat but this beer was awful. Not tart, not dry, not crisp and definitely not refreshing.

urbanmyth said:
You had to have gotten a mishandled bottled of Oarsmen. It's a well made beer every time I buy it.

Nope, not in bottle. It was on draft at a very reputable beer bar here in Orlando.

Rolling Rock. I can't believe that stuff has a following. It tasted like an organic chemistry problem, where one has to determine what the unknown aldehydes in the sample might be.

I've had questionable commercial beer, questionable homemade beer, taken courses were a neutral brew was deliberately spiked with off flavours - and RR was still worse.

I could swear that I'd already posted in this thread, but it must've been another.
My worst commercial beer is a tie for first:
Dogfish Head 120 (sorry hopheads, and I'm one, but I hated that overpriced crap.)
Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic.
I won't be giving either of those a second chance.

A friend gave me a beer he bought at grocery warehouse,1/2 rack $4.99, it was called Game Day and lived up to its cost.:

Back