Carbing a Belgian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Well, I have a Belgian style beer in secondary that I'm about ready to bottle up. First time I've made this style beer and I'm just wondering how much priming sugar would be appropriate? I'll be using 12 oz bottles. The beer has been sitting in secondary for a month and spent three weeks in primary - should I add a packet of yeast to the bottling bucket?

Thanks.

Edit - What are the thoughts on the carbing tabs around here?

I had a simular fermentation time with a belgian saison style ale. I added 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar to five gallons, waited a few weeks and tapped the keg. It turned out out a little flat, guessing most of the yeast was either dead or not so healthy from the long fermentation. adding yeast to your bottling bucket would help, I just don't know how much you should add, sorry.

I use 3/4c dextrose on pretty much all my beers. Works well in a crowded area. ;)

I like munton's carb tabs because they make it easy to adjust your carbonation level and also allows you to use larger-format bottles. The cooper's are just one tab per 12oz bottle...so what happens when you have one of those 16oz german-style bottles? With munton's, you add 3 for low carb level in a 12oz bottle, 4 for regular, and 5 for high. For larger format bottles, just do the math.

I wouldn't use carb tabs unless you really need to though. They're much more expensive than just using dextrose. I use them when bottles don't carbonate and I have to uncap-recap them...or when I have a batch that's smaller than 5 gals...makes it easy.

Back