Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kämpferstrahl Brewing

The literal translation from German is "fighter jet." I thought it sounded cool, and a German theme seemed appropriate for a brewing operation. It's not the actual term the Luftwaffe uses, but "jagdfleug" is a much uglier sounding word. For those of you who know me, it fits quite well.

4688-weathered.jpg

I have California Brewing Company inc. I have trademarked the name ( cant believe it wasent taken) I am currently many things whithin the CO. but CCO and CFO are the positions I hold. We are working with a local marketing group to get our perspectis finilized and we are off to the invester group. my labels are almost complete (see avatar) and we should be in buisness within a year. Wish me luck
Im gonna need it
JJ

The "Flying Dutchman" part of my name was the name I gave the first beer I made. I used the same image that American Science & Surplus uses as their mascot on that original bottle label, referring to the guy in the flying contraption rather than the legendary ghost ship. I liked the name so I decided to use it as the first half of my brewery name, but I dropped the flying guy when I came up with a real logo. The "Unlimited Ale Works" part is derived directly from "Unlimited Blade Works", the character Archer's ultimate spell/attack in Fate/Stay Night, as is the gear motif used in my logo.
fdlogo2_636187.png
For reference, this is what "Unlimited Blade Works" looks like:
nahhkaabe.jpg

Denimbrauhaus.

I ended up with the nickname denimglen after I started listening to a lot of 80s thrash metal and wearing a lot of denim.

The nickname has stuck for years now, and seemed fitting to use it for my homebrewery, and I used brauhaus just for some German bling.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame story.

I'm thinking of going with Bucketman Brewery. Long story

While in college one summer in Marquette, MI, a bunch of us drank beer on the porch of our fraternity house, while tying fishing flys, discussing how boring summer was in a college town with everyone gone but relaxing at the same time. Anyway, the city sent by a wood chipper and a guy in a bucket truck to trim the trees around the power lines, and, for some reason (alcohol), we decided that this was the coolest thing ever and were impressed by the kick as wood chipper and other power equipment . We asked "Bucketman" if he picked up on women by going up to their windows and he smiled and answered, "you know it." Keep in mind that this was a pretty redneck fraternity in the UP where you would more likely find a deer butchered in the garage than mommy's hummer, so it wasn't a bunch of rich kids making fun of the working guy. The guys on the porch were all Yoopers, former military, farm kids, or a combination of all 3. We ran into "Bucketman" since then in local bars and always called him "Bucketman" and bought him a beer, and when people asked him "what was that all about," he'd always respond. "Those are just my fans" and play it off like of course he has fans- you mean you don't have fans? Bucketman was cool like that. He played along really well and got a lot of free beer at the bar and would occasionally stop by the porch for one. Man, I really miss Bucketman.

Incidentally, I am setting up a bar/brew room/lair for Bucketman in the basement that will be dubbed "the Bat Cave." See, Bucketman is such a badass supervillian, that when he needed a lair, he kicked Batman's ass and stole his cave. The new bucketman (lower peninsula version) is a supervillian that empties my beers when I'm not looking, which is the only logical explanation I can find to explain my disappearing homebrew. If your homebrew is disappearing without explanation, he is probably the culprit. I never met the new bucketman, but I hear that he is incredibly good looking.

My corgi is the best dog I have ever owned. And I'm not really an "animal person".

Early this year we (my wife and I) learned of an artist named Tasha Tudor and I loved her cute drawings of the Corgis of Corgiville. So I decided to do a drawing for fun of our corgi (Wiggles) in tartan with pipes. When I made my beer last month I decided to put him on the label as a lark... but it fit really well.

So, it's the "Royal Corgi Brewery".

But then my idea changed and I decided to do different corgis for each beer I make. My artistic friends (and my mom) would draw a corgi for the label of each beer in their own style. My mom (very artistic) is working on the Christmas beer label, my friend Shuuki is doing the Thanksgiving beer label (my first lager), and I'm doing the label for my father-in-law's birthday beer (the vanilla creme ale).
madcorgiskillz.bmp

JewWario said:
My corgi is the best dog I have ever owned. And I'm not really an "animal person".

Early this year we (my wife and I) learned of an artist named Tasha Tudor and I loved her cute drawings of the Corgis of Corgiville. So I decided to do a drawing for fun of our corgi (Wiggles) in tartan with pipes. When I made my beer last month I decided to put him on the label as a lark... but it fit really well.

So, it's the "Royal Corgi Brewery".

But then my idea changed and I decided to do different corgis for each beer I make. My artistic friends (and my mom) would draw a corgi for the label of each beer in their own style. My mom (very artistic) is working on the Christmas beer label, my friend Shuuki is doing the Thanksgiving beer label (my first lager), and I'm doing the label for my father-in-law's birthday beer (the vanilla creme ale).
madcorgiskillz.bmp

That's friggen great man. My family would love that labeling. Nice work...

Knucklehead Brewery, it's partly a reference to my favorite Red Sox pitcher, Tim Wakefield who is a knuckleballer and part reference to my ability to constantly do stupid things... Yeah, I know, not a very impressive story...

Muckney Brewing

My brewing venture is named so to pay homage to an old friend. Muckney was the name of my childhood blanket. I have no friggin' clue where the hell I came up with the word "muckney" as a child, but I've always thought that it was a cool arrangement of letters (of course I'm biased) and have always wanted to use it in one of my many amateur ventures (band, short film production company, etc.). So when I started brewing, I figured what the hey, let's use it. The spelling has always varied (mucknee, muq-nee, muqne, muknee, etc), but I thought I'd take the Chef Boiardi (Boy-ar-dee) approach and spell it out phonetically.

I'm not sure if I want to go with "Brewing", it may end up being:

Brewery
Ale Works
Ale and Lagering Facility
Alery
Muckney Brewing Kitchen

But, for now it's Muckney Brewing Company (currently not a company). Next step is a logo.

PS - This is a really interesting thread. Its neat to see how everyone's brewery name came about

cnbudz - Go Wakefield. I loved watching him pitch here for the Pirates.

I originally started with Mulcahey's Brewing, which is my ID. Just my last name...

But recently I have switched to Fat Monsters Brewing Company. There was a guy who worked with us who was a little on the heavy side and looked just like dracula. He was the one who originally brought it up as we were talking about Halloween and he said how he always goes as Count Dracula as his wife told him he looks like dracula. Which he totally does. But the idea popped in our heads about a movie and we ran with it figuring in other cult monsters. Thus born Fat Monsters Brewing Company. I'm starting to name all the brews after the cult monsters (Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, Mummy, etc.). I have been tinkering with labels, none too good yet. I want the monsters to be happy looking, like they have had too many brews to actually be evil...jolly monsters!

My wife and I were living in our first apartment together without other roommates when she bought me my first brewing package (most pieces of which are still in use).
It was in across the street from the University of San Diego in a neighborhood the students called "Dog Patch". We love dogs and her childhood dog became the first mascot. Dog Patch was an easy walk from Home Brew Mart/ Ballast Point BC. where I still frequently shop. Dog Patch Brewery has had several mascots and is now located in Carlsbad CA in a garage, which is a big step up from the 2X2ft. coat closet.
Cheers,
Jeremy
Lord Nelson beer label2.jpg

Germey said:
My wife and I were living in our first apartment together without other roommates when she bought me my first brewing package (most pieces of which are still in use).
It was in across the street from the University of San Diego in a neighborhood the students called "Dog Patch". We love dogs and her childhood dog became the first mascot. Dog Patch was an easy walk from Home Brew Mart/ Ballast Point BC. where I still frequently shop. Dog Patch Brewery has had several mascots and is now located in Carlsbad CA in a garage, which is a big step up from the 2X2ft. coat closet.
Cheers,
Jeremy
View attachment 2776

When I first saw the name... I was waiting for a "Lil Abner" reference. There used to be a Dogpatch USA theme park in Arkansas years back, went there when I was a child.. I think it's out o' bidness now, but I still have the cookbook somewhere that my late mother bought there.

Allan

RoDan Brewing. My brew buddy's name is Roshan, my name is Dan - so together that makes...well, you get it. But it turns out RoDan means a lot of things:

* Rodan a flying monster in Godzilla movies
* Rodan an early-1990s rock band
* Rodan a rapper and member of Monster Island Czars

And for homophones:

* Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), French artist, most famous as a sculptor
* David Rodan (1983-), Fijian Australian rules footballer
* Radon, a chemical element
* Perry Rhodan, the world's most prolific science fiction (SF) series, published since 1961 in Germany

(courtesy of Wikipedia)

howlinowl said:
When I first saw the name... I was waiting for a "Lil Abner" reference. There used to be a Dogpatch USA theme park in Arkansas years back, went there when I was a child.. I think it's out o' bidness now, but I still have the cookbook somewhere that my late mother bought there.

Allan

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood name had something to do with the county animal shelter down the hill. Now that I look at the Wikipedia entry for it (sorry, just a bit before my time) I could also see the lil' Abner influence as the neighborhood was very low rent and run down, but sitting on what should be the most prime real estate in San Diego.
Cheers,
Jeremy

New to the forum here and decided to jump right in. The "unofficial" name of my "brewery" is Boxer Brewing Co. No real story--my wife and I have owned several boxers over the years and just thought it sounded okay. Still working on a label for the beers. I've been brewing for ~15 years--off and on (mostly on, and then mostly off, and now mostly on) and have made a few labels in the past, but would like to try more in the future--although I have absolutely no talent for these sorts of graphic designs. Anyway, look forward to posting on this board in the future.

Any tips on good programs/web-sites that would aid in my designs would be greatly appreciated. I've been to the seal-it.com and like the place, unfortunately you can't upload a picture.

3rd Circle Brewery

3rdCircleBrewery.jpg

In Dante's Infrerno, the third ring of Hell is reserved for those who have committed the sin of gluttony. The names of all my beers are usually dark or have some sort of demonic connection.

For example, my Saison Dupont clone:

8349-SaisonDecayLabel.jpg

I've been using "Black Dog Brewery" because.....well I've got an old black Lab that is my beer drinking buddy and i thought it was appropriate to name the brewery after her. I think there is already a Black Dog Brewery in operation somewhere.

Regards,
Al

for a while i couldn't come up with a name. then after a good night at a brew meeting we had to leave the bar early because there was a bad storm outside and the pub was getting flooded. one of my friends asked me before we left the bar if i had come up with a name and i told him no, he then responed that "not to worry it would come to me soon". well it came sooner then i thought, about 2 in the morning i had the fire company at my door telling me that i had to leave my house becasue Moodna Creek was flooding and the water level had had already rose to my front yard. well thats when i took the name up Moodna Creek brewery, the name littery came to me in more then one way.

I have struggled with finding a name, I live on a street called Pearce, so initially I thought "Pearce St. Ale Works"? Another thing is our town is predominantly divided East and West, so I thought of "Eastside Brewery". But i am also in the heart of the wine country, so I don't know if something like "Wine Country Ale Works" would work? General Vallejo is a historical figure, and our town has his home as well as many Army barricks, so I don't know if incorporating something historical like that would work? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Eastside.

I chose Uncle Martin's Brewery. My favorite band is Tool and I wanted something that was a subtle tool reference. They have a song where they are out at area 51 looking for aliens, and after they see a ufo, he says "I hope Uncle Martin here doesnt notice that I've (peed) my pants!" I thought the lyric was funny, and went with it.

Sadly i have no name for my brewery yet. DH and I have tossed a number of names back and forth yet nothing sticks. The closest to a decent name that we have is "Psycho Kitten Brewery" and that just sounds so... not right.
I have been thinking of going with "Shiva's Ale Works" or something similar.

I went for MacKnockel's Brewery, which is a spin off from my last name and a nickname formed a long time ago for my family, the McConnell's. Thought it was a good time to bring it back.

Raccoon Creek Brewery, no brainer as I live on Raccoon Creek Road.

Still thinking about a slogan for all my labels..

"Steal ya Some"..

"Brew Bandits" ....etc, etc....

Devil's Valley Brewing, cause my initials are DV.

I was originally going to use it for photography, but I haven't been doing much shooting lately, so I stole the name for my brews instead. =)

-D

The Fat Man Brewery, started off as a joke between me and my first brewing partner, from there it morphed into www.thefatmanbrewery.com where I have logo's and a history tab to describe the Atom bomb theme from WWII and the "Fat Man" atomic bomb.

http://www.thefatmanbrewery.com/resources/Fat_man+brewery$28gray$29.jpg

MOD EDIT: Removed pic. Your image was requesting login credentails.

I have been involved in Telecommunications of some sort (microwave, TTY, TCP/IP, VIOP, TDM etc.) since the 70's.

I am a Telecom guru and spend a lot of time dealing with protocols, messaging, signaling and other bits of esoteric knowledge. When I chose a name, after many many years of brewing, it simply had to reflect what I do to make it possible.

Touch Tone Brewery just rolls off the tongue for some reason.

Now if I could just get some clever graphics guy to make me a logo I would be set.

I wonder if one is reading these posts...

Cheers,

knewshound

Illinois River Valley Brewing Co. (IRV)

I live in the heart of the Illinois River Valley-- there have been about 23 breweries and distillaries to grace our area since the 1800's. The water I use comes from the river, and its good for brewing. So I pay homage to the river in my brewery name.

3548-IRV2.jpg

Not brewin' yet.....gonna have to wait til winter and I can't go outside and work in the backyard anymore....come on rain! But have the name...Blue Dragon Brewery.

It won't be hard to come up with some sweet logos. I'm a cop and the name comes from a special enforcement unit I used to belong to. We drove dark blue unmarked cars with tinted windows. They screamed COP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our predesors coined the name for the unit The Blue Dragons and it stuck. How could it not, that's just a cool name.

Oh and EdWort.....that is a bitchin' logo

This has been a long time coming for me, but I think I have finally settled on a name that suits me, and my approach to brewing. Inspired by one of my heros, my brewery will be represented by Indian Larry's logo, the question mark. I haven't decided exactly on the name--if it's going to be Question Mark Brewing, simply "Question Mark", or even the totally artsy fartsy route, and just use the logo with no name at all.

I always admired the guy, and his approach to building bikes. He blended his incredible mechanical abilities with an artist's approach and made bikes that were both rolling art and (apparently) good riders. The question mark, as I see it, symbolized the fact that at the end of the day, he did what he did because he loved it, and couldn't be taken too seriously. That's the same approach I try to take. I want to be innovative, make quality beers, and have fun doing it.

Now, I just have to settle on an actual name, and come up with a logo! It's taken me this long, so I reckon it can wait until I actually get my brewery up and running again. :) In the meantime, if one of you talented folks has any ideas for a logo, here's some examples I'll probably work from:

wcc-store_1967_167429379

3192KZM3Z4L._AA240_.jpg

Shear Force Breweries, just basically because we are both Mechanical Engineering students and it sounded cool lol.

My nickname has always been Slimer. For my Cider, I'm planning on calling it Slimer's Pectoplasmic Cider.

For the brewery name, I need some help. PM me with any ideas.

I call mine "Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute" Mostly because its very seldom I can do something I enjoy and piss the wife off at the same time!!

slimer said:
My nickname has always been Slimer. For my Cider, I'm planning on calling it Slimer's Pectoplasmic Cider.

For the brewery name, I need some help. PM me with any ideas.

Haha that just reminded me of a name that a friend said I should call my cider.

Jean-o-cider.

No firm, chiseled in stone, name yet. My Grandfather labeled me with the nickname Shaggnasty when I a was toddler, that has stuck with me for life. No one really calls me that, but if anyone in the family sees or hears it there is no doubt on who it refers to. "Shaggnasty's" something or other may be it.

However I was Driving down Leonard st. in grand Rapids a couple months ago and saw that the old Engine House no.9 was for sale. I thought Engine House would be a great name for a brew pub or brewery and of course playing on the fireman/fire truck thing for names of the brews. Such as Speedwagon IPA with a picture of an old Reo Speedwagon on it and of course Engine House Pale ale that would have a Dalmatian in the forefront sitting on the lawn in front of the fire station. All just ideas to go with the money I don't have, but it's still fun to dream about.

By the by, if you don't know it already that is where the band R.E.O. Speedwagon got their name. It's a fire truck.

Back