Jaom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiwig

Reaction score
Have had a batch of Jaom fermenting for about two weeks. I didn't measure the sg, but it had stopped fermenting yesterday. When I tasted it it was very dry and really hot, so I decided to rack it off the lees and transfer it to a clean carboy with another 2 lbs of honey. I know the recipes says to leave it alone, but it would have been undrinkable. Anyway, there hasn't been any new activity. How long should I leave it until I bottle it?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

mine has been bubbling since Oct 30. slowed down to about 1 "bloop" every 5 seconds now. airlock smells great.

cheers,

robin850

Didja use bread yeast like the original recipe said? (that's not an accusation, I made my first batch with D47 because my copy of the recipe had omitted this!)

mine has been bubbling since Oct 30. slowed down to about 1 "bloop" every 5 seconds now. airlock smells great.

cheers,

robin850

My JAOM smells kinda nice from the airlock, but I am going on 41 hours since I pitched the yeast and AT MOST it has bubbled once every 2 seconds, but more on average, once every 4 seconds. So... my question is, how fast was yours bubbling when it was 'bubbling fast'?

jleiwig said:
Have had a batch of Jaom fermenting for about two weeks. I didn't measure the sg, but it had stopped fermenting yesterday. When I tasted it it was very dry and really hot, so I decided to rack it off the lees and transfer it to a clean carboy with another 2 lbs of honey. I know the recipes says to leave it alone, but it would have been undrinkable. Anyway, there hasn't been any new activity. How long should I leave it until I bottle it?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Without taking an SG reading, you can't know it has finished fermenting. You really should have left it.

Mead will seem undrinkable till you age it. At 2 weeks old if course it would taste undrinkable.

Without taking an SG reading, you can't know it has finished fermenting. You really should have left it.

Mead will seem undrinkable till you age it. At 2 weeks old if course it would taste undrinkable.
+1 on that.

After all, the OP hasn't followed the recipe, so all warranty is void. The whole point of JAO is that you can get all the ingredients at the grocery store, that it's easy to mix a batch and that you have to do little or nothing until the fruit has dropped. All of that usually takes in the region of about 2 to 3 months, not a fortnight.

It sounds like someone else has doubted the wisdom of Joe Mattioli. Probably with wine yeast..... and yes I've tried that, and no it doesn't make for a good dry recipe. In fact, despite the recipe inferring that it's good once clear with the fruit dropped, it wasn't to my taste so it was racked and bottled then. After about 6 months in the bottles it was excellent.

Still I'm not here to criticise. It's up to the individual maker as to what they come up with. There's no real standards in mead making.......

Is there any reason I shouldnt use guava instead of orange in a JAOM? I've futsed about with several other fruits, with varying success (though all were drinkable ENOUGH I suppose).

sorry for the delayed response.

when my JAOM started it was so rapid i thought the airlock would come off! i had to siphon a bit off to avoid foam-over.

cheers,

robin850

Back