Any homebrewers in Alabama ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I know a few of you guys are from Alabama. Are there enough homebrewers in Alabama that there might be some interest in forming sort of a home-brew club or something ? Nothing really complicated, I was just thinking it might be fun to have a meeting every month or two and drink some homebrews, swap recipes, share tips and stuff.

I'm in Birmingham and would be all for that. I think the Bama Brewers on here are somewhat spread out. I know I've seen a couple of folks from Hunstville. I'm somewhat a newbie, though, being on my second batch, with my first batch still in the secondary. But if you get any more interest and want to try to get folks together , send me a PM. :mug:

I'm from Auburn. Moved away when I was 17 though. I know that a good friend of mine is in Tuscaloosa brewing right now. He's on here, his name is Yellowforks. Send him a PM, I'm sure he'd be all about it.

Sure is, I met a few of them in B'ham at the LHBS. I also went to the Fox and Hound and had a few...:mug:

What LHBS did you visit in B'ham? I'd like to check it out. Our hardware store here in Tuscaloosa has some stuff, but it's mostly just hardware. Only a couple malt extracts are stocked. I think literally, two containers. And they were dusty...

I found Alabrew online, but from their directions, it sounded like it was at someone's house.

PM me to avoid thread-jacking I suppose.

Alabrew is sort of in a bad neighborhood. Get on 1st Avenue North and drive north up past Eastlake, and then just past east lake autos the road bends to the right - you'll see a golf course on the left. As you pass the golf course keep a lookout on your left and Alabrew is on the left next to an insurance company. Can't see the building from the street until you're right on top of it, but there is a small sign out front. If you get to the asian whorehouse on the right, then you went too far and you need to turn around.

I'd be interested. Alabrew sponsors a club, but it's more of a commercial beer club from what I gathered. Few homebrews. I got in touch with another club from the greenboard. Carbouy Junkies was the name if I recall. Never heard anything from them.

Dad lives up there at the lake. Probably be around Pier 59 this weekend.

seems like the b'ham guys have you covered i was gonna say that my uncle is part of a homebrew club in mobile called the LA Lagers...but they would be a good 3 1/2 hours from you at least

Does anyone know what happened to Alabrew ? I was by there the other day and the building where it used to be was for rent.

By the way, I need to sell all my brew equipment in a ****ing hurry - I'm letting it go. Check the Classifieds section if any of you guys are interested. There's a list of all I got to sell there.

Does anyone know what happened to Alabrew ? I was by there the other day and the building where it used to be was for rent.

I may be late, but they moved to a strip center in Pelham.

I am interested in this topic though, I feel almost alone being a HBer in Tuscaloosa. Most of the people I've seen who drink beer here are more interested in natty light than anything with real flavor.

I may be late, but they moved to a strip center in Pelham.

I am interested in this topic though, I feel almost alone being a HBer in Tuscaloosa. Most of the people I've seen who drink beer here are more interested in natty light than anything with real flavor.

Yeah, they're right beside the road that takes you to the Oak Mountain Amphitheatre. Well, almost right beside it. They outgrew their older place. Also something about taxes being better, being more central to their customers, etc. It's a little bit of a drive for me (20 extra minutes). Oh well, at least they're still around and kicking.

BTW, Gadsden, Alabama here but I work in B'ham.

Linky to Alabrew:

http://www.alabrew.com/

Thread of resurrection!

I'm in the Northwest part of the state, Shoals area... looking to hook up with some brewers in these parts, possibly get a club going.

Also, anybody from the old Birmingham Brewmasters club around? I miss you guys and would love to catch up! (George, former club prez and brewer at Breckenridge and Magic City)

Feel free to PM!

I know a few of you guys are from Alabama. Are there enough homebrewers in Alabama that there might be some interest in forming sort of a home-brew club or something ? Nothing really complicated, I was just thinking it might be fun to have a meeting every month or two and drink some homebrews, swap recipes, share tips and stuff.

I am in the Anniston area. Anyone nearby? I would love to get together for tastings.

As the title says, Huntsville brewer here. We have the "Rocket City Brewers" here. I've never met any of them but they have a website and meetings every month or so.

Does anyone know why Free the Hops has stopped trying to get brewing legalized this year? I know it got shot down last year but I was hoping they would get it back in for another vote this year.:mug:

As the title says, Huntsville brewer here. We have the "Rocket City Brewers" here. I've never met any of them but they have a website and meetings every month or so.

Does anyone know why Free the Hops has stopped trying to get brewing legalized this year? I know it got shot down last year but I was hoping they would get it back in for another vote this year.:mug:

It is on the agenda, in fact the bill was introduced on the 16th. It's just that the group Alabama Homebrewing is pushing it. Free the Hops is in their corner, but they are focusing more on the commercial side.

http://www.alahomebrewing.org/home

Birmingham here....well, mcalla area. I brewed some in college. It was extract and it sucked. Im looking into going all out with a single tier all grain brewstand and a 6 tap keezer. Itll take a while to learn and build, but im up for some meetings.

Huntsville homebrewer here. I just finished my third batch a couple of weeks ago and have a Caribou Slobber in the fermenting tank. Getting ready to bottle this weekend.

ParanoidAndroid said:
Birmingham here....well, mcalla area. I brewed some in college. It was extract and it sucked. Im looking into going all out with a single tier all grain brewstand and a 6 tap keezer. Itll take a while to learn and build, but im up for some meetings.

Extract with specialty grains turns out well.

Alabaster (southern 'burb of Birmingham) brewer here. Been brewing for 10 years this fall, though I've only lived in AL for 8.

Current goings-on are in my sig. Here's hoping the HB legislation rockets through the rest of the process now that it's through the house!

-Rich

I'm from the Gadsden area, and looking to meeting some folks from my area that brew. I have a friend in Bham that I brew with occasionally, but have never met anyone else. I'm all for starting a club or tastings.

I'm from Alabama, well the Mobile area. So unfortunately I'm not close, but it is nice to see some fellow alabamians here.

Starting one down in the Wiregrass. Check us out on Facebook.
:mug:

Alabama brew clubs. Except for the RCB in Madison/Huntsville, I don't know how accurate these listings/links are:

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/homebrewclubAL.html

http://www.alahomebrewing.org/homebrewing-clubs

If brewing was legal in AL, I'd brew up a bunch of beer! Like NB's Cream Ale (2), AK-47 Pale Mild (3), American Wheat (1) and Rye Ale (1). But, since brewing isn't legal in AL, I haven't brewed any of the above beer.

Nor do I have one batch of AK-47 Pale Mild or Cream Ale fermenting right now and the AK-47 won't be ready to bottle this weekend and it won't be followed by the Cream Ale the week thereafter.

I can't wait until brewing is legal in AL!!! It will happen next year! :ban:

Alabama brew clubs. Except for the RCB in Madison/Huntsville, I don't know how accurate these listings/links are:

If brewing was legal in AL, I'd brew up a bunch of beer! Like NB's Cream Ale (2), AK-47 Pale Mild (3), American Wheat (1) and Rye Ale (1). But, since brewing isn't legal in AL, I haven't brewed any of the above beer.

Nor do I have one batch of AK-47 Pale Mild or Cream Ale fermenting right now and the AK-47 won't be ready to bottle this weekend and it won't be followed by the Cream Ale the week thereafter.

Okay, I'll play. If brewing were legal, I'd probably have a Reaper's Mild and a Rye IPA (6.4% ABV and so delicious) on tap right now with a stout and Fat Tire clone carbonating in kegs, soon to come up on tap. I'd also have a 1.095 imperial stout that I brewed just last Friday still bubbling slowly (having already reached 1.033 when I checked it two days ago). I can imagine having an Oktoberfest that I brewed in April still in the downstairs fridge in secondary and just about to be transferred to a keg. Of course, all of this assumes we'd also not be subject to the 15 gallon storage limit which was part of this year's bill, since all of those would be 5 gallon batches.

If only brewing were legal! For now, at least we have our amazingly vivid imaginations. So vivid I can almost taste it.

HA! The Huntsville Alabama Homebrewers Association is located about 5 houses down from where I grew up. Awesome.

I am from Huntsville, AL. Started doing my first batch of wine, from some muscadine I collected last week from my yard. Prior to this was only brewing kvass.

Orthobrewsky said:
Okay, I'll play. If brewing were legal, I'd probably have a Reaper's Mild and a Rye IPA (6.4% ABV and so delicious) on tap right now with a stout and Fat Tire clone carbonating in kegs, soon to come up on tap. I'd also have a 1.095 imperial stout that I brewed just last Friday still bubbling slowly (having already reached 1.033 when I checked it two days ago). I can imagine having an Oktoberfest that I brewed in April still in the downstairs fridge in secondary and just about to be transferred to a keg. Of course, all of this assumes we'd also not be subject to the 15 gallon storage limit which was part of this year's bill, since all of those would be 5 gallon batches.

If only brewing were legal! For now, at least we have our amazingly vivid imaginations. So vivid I can almost taste it.

Brew anyways. I do

Back