Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I was doing some research into "cold crashing", and I was hoping some of you would weigh in on this topic. One of my specific questions is can I cold crash my primary before racking into a carboy, or is the practice reserved for your carboy prior to bottling? From what I have learned so far, cold crashing "puts the yeast to sleep" so to speak, and creates a nice, compact yeast cake. Thanks for any pointers!

Hey everybody. I was doing some research into "cold crashing", and I was hoping some of you would weigh in on this topic. One of my specific questions is can I cold crash my primary before racking into a carboy, or is the practice reserved for your carboy prior to bottling? From what I have learned so far, cold crashing "puts the yeast to sleep" so to speak, and creates a nice, compact yeast cake. Thanks for any pointers!

Sure. You can cold crash before you secondary. I would just leave it in primary, cold crash, and then bottle from there, but whatever you want to do is fine.

edit: you have a good grasp on what cold crashing does, by the way. It'll compact the yeast cake and help proteins drop out of suspension.

What is a good temp to crash at 30-40F? And for how long? I think I'll try it.

That's pretty much it. Its usually done in secondaries/clearing tanks since fermentation is pretty much over and most of the sediment would already have been removed from racking, but you could certainly do it in a primary. Just make sure fermentation is over.

30 is too low. You'll get ice.
Not always a bad thing, letting the wort freeze after it is fermented out) will clear it nicely. Just let it melt back at fridge (not room) temp.

I learned this from a batch of lager and a malfunctioning thermostat.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question (probably since I'm asking) or not, but after cold crashing should one let the beer come up to temp before bottling or bottle first than let temp come back up?

For bottling I would let it come back to room temp. I keg, so I just pull it out at 40 degrees and rack. Cold crashing has improved my clarity and quality dramatically.

Back