Crispin Double Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_stodd

Reaction score
http://ow.ly/d/NMx

From the document:

...Crispin Bare Naked and Fox Barrel Pear Naked, which are USDA Organic certified hard ciders utilizing a unique Double Fermentation process. Stripped down, “naked” ciders utilizing a natural fermentation without chaptalization. Fermentation leverages the natural sugar levels inherent in the raw, unpasteurized, fresh-pressed American organic apple and pear juice using a novel “Forbidden Fruit” wit yeast.

Following full fermentation, a second fermentation is initiated with the addition of new raw organic juice to the wine, and ferments again using a sparkling wine yeast.

Is this a common process? If someone can explain the benefit of doing this, I don't see how this is better than doing two separate fermentations, then blending together; especially since it seems that adding juice to the already fermented wine would add a lot of oxygen, isn't that bad?

OP, they're not blending the two separate juices. They're simply priming the already fermented juice with enough raw juice to ferment in the bottle. The idea is to not use traditional priming sugar and end up with more apple flavor. When done correctly, no oxygen is introduced.

That being said the first paragraph is full of factual errors and contradictions.
- There is nothing 'unique' about a double fermentation. Most people on this board use that technique, as do many commercial craft cideries, wineries and breweries.
- 'Naked cider' is a marketing term for something the rest of us like to call . . . cider.
- A 'natural fermentation' that use a wit yeast????

LeBreton,

I know this thread is a bit older, but I wanted to jump in here and ask you a few questions because of your background in cider. I'm new to the cider making process and am a fan of the Bare Naked Cider from Crispen, and would like to understand more about the process of fermenting my cider dry and then back sweetening with raw juice back to 1.012.

My first batch of cider went sideways on me, but with that said, I definitely learned some things about the cider fermentation process and am ready to give it another shot.

With that said, how would I calculate how many gravity points I would gain by adding a specific amount of raw cider back to my completely fermented cider? Also, what are your thoughts on using campden tablets, peptic enzyme and yeast nutrient?

I would like to ferment dry, rack to secondary for two weeks, back sweeten to 1.012, bottle in 750ml champagne bottles, let carbonate naturally and then use a pasteurization process after achieving a slight carbonation, hopefully ending at 1.010.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally, I like to sweeten and prime with frozen apple juice concentrate or more juice, it leaves more apple flavor in the finished cider and less sucrose taste, which can cover the natural fruitiness of juice. One can of my local stuff (180g/sugar per can) raises the SG of a 5 gallon batch by ~0.003 points which is also about the same amount of sugar that creates a typical level of carbonation.

So basically, ferment dry, and add more juice or concentrate until the cider reads 1.012, then bottle and follow the pasteurization sticky using a plastic soda bottle as a carbonation gauge. If you use a wit yeast like Crispin does and hit the correct ABV and residual sugars you should get a pretty close approximation.

Campden & Pectic enzyme are must use in all my ciders, but nutrient I only add occasionally.

OK, so to expand on what you said...if one can of FAJC at 180g of sugar gives a 0.003 rise in gravity, how much of a rise in gravity would one gallon of fresh juice at a gravity of say 1.056 give to 5 gallons of cider fermented to 1.000? Because I would really like to use fresh juice to back sweeten and prime. I plan on using Cote des Blanc yeast for this next round.

As far as campden tablets, am I safe just going with the 1 tablet per gallon, or do I need to get something to get a proper ph reading of the cider and then figure out how many tablets to use?

How much pectic enzyme do you recommend for 5 gallons?

Latest posts

Back