Dedicated or Stupid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, two days ago the furnace went out in the house, and true to form it was my woman who noticed it first. While trying to figure out what was wrong with it I placed all of my beer in the closet with an electronically controlled space heater, and turned it up to 70 degrees, so as not to stagnate my beer. I have some freshly bottled, one in the primary, and one in the secondary. Remember that yesterday was a holiday, so getting the appropriate people on the phone was a no go. Over the last two days of of trouble shooting, I have finally called a technician in. My woman shakes her head at the fact the beer is nice and cozy, but we are bundled up by the fire place with it being 45 degrees outside at night. What do you think?

People generate their own heat and only need insulation in order to retain it. Beer isn't that lucky. So, save your homebrew from the cold. If she's really cold you could always suggest a couple of adult activities to get warm. :D :ban::ban::ban:

I'd be in the closet with the beer and the woman. Warm, drunk, and happy.

during the winter i keep my thermostat between 62-65, wife isn't too thrilled that the beer is more comfortable than she is but what can you do

Well if your beer isnt getting the good attention, that also means your wasting more money!

And yeah it sounds right to me. :)

Over in this neck of the woods [working] fireplaces actually produce heat. Personally, I don't see the point in having one that doesn't work.

Never been around a fireplace that put out heat that actually warmed the house, the ones that do always had inserts for wood stoves. Six years in Montana, four in Nebraska and not a single house that relied on wood heat used a standalone fireplace due to terrible efficiency.

Never been around a fireplace that put out heat that actually warmed the house, the ones that do always had inserts for wood stoves. Six years in Montana, four in Nebraska and not a single house that relied on wood heat used a standalone fireplace due to terrible efficiency.

It should at least warm up that room... We used stoves to heat in the winter growing up. First a wood burning in just the living room. Then a coal burner replaced it. Once we converted the garage (attached) to a family room, we put one in there. Between the two, we heated the entire house all winter without any other heat source. That was in central MA... :D

I agree that if you have one it has to burn wood. I tried to heat the house up out of curiosity, but due to the size of the den the heat really doesn't get much beyond that room. It is about 20' x 25' room, and I had 3 burning 2' logs in the fire place. Thank god the technician came out today, and fixed it. I am having a late Thanksgiving get together here at the house tomorrow, and that could have spoiled the fun!

I expected you to say that since the furnace was out you decided it was a good time to start that lager you'd been planning.

Chances are furnace would be repaired before the brew was finished. :eek:

I guess that depends on just how dedicated the OP is to the craft.

Years ago I had a buddy who brewed a marzen in January and just left the window to his bedroom open enough to keep it at lagering temp. He must have had half a dozen blankets on his bed to keep warm at night but to him it was well worth the trouble.

I guess that depends on just how dedicated the OP is to the craft.

Years ago I had a buddy who brewed a marzen in January and just left the window to his bedroom open enough to keep it at lagering temp. He must have had half a dozen blankets on his bed to keep warm at night but to him it was well worth the trouble.

My fermenters are in the basement, which is the coolest part of the house. :D Got an ale with smoked malt coming up (batch after the one coming up) that I might use Wyeast 1728 on. Could ferment it in the low end of it's range (under 60F) without too much issue. :D

Not interested in making a lager at this time. Even though I'm sure I could with the basement temps.

Back