Yeast film in bottled mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabedue

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just did my first mead and it turned out great so far. I bottled it about a month ago after 6 months in secondary. I recently opened one and noticed that yeast has condensed on the side of the bottle. Not a huge deal but it breaks off easily and forms little film floaters in the mead that really turn people off to it (comments about the "nasty" stuff floating around, ect). The bottles have not carbonated so the yeast is definitely not multiplying and I bottled it with minimal disturbance of the yeast out of the secondary. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this, if its normal, and how to reduce or eliminate it in the future.

Thanks in advance, any input is greatly appreciated.

Keep racking as 1/4 " lees form on bottom.......When lees quit dropping you are good to go. Cold crashing and or fining agents can speed the process.

Keep racking as 1/4 " lees form on bottom.......When lees quit dropping you are good to go. Cold crashing and or fining agents can speed the process.

great advice, except he has already bottled his mead. and the floaters are in the bottle/glasses when he pours now.

Back