co2 coming out of solution when poured?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTimer

Reaction score
Let me first say I'm sure I need to give it more time, first time kegging, but I'm kind of curious about this. Here's the pertinent details:

Kegged 1 week ago, set to 14 psi at 42 degrees. 6 ft of 3/16 hose with picnic tap that stays in the kegerator.

When I pour at the same pressure the beer comes out mostly foamy and the part that worries me is the co2 appears to be slowly coming out of solution. It looks just like when you pour a can of Guinness with the nitrogen tab but just a small section just bellow the foam. Of course the beer tastes completely flat. I did try to pour it at 5 psi and the foam stopped but the bubbles were still hovering bellow the surface and still totally flat. Is this any indication of a problem, am I on the right track, is this normal. Any comments or points to a related thread (searched but found nothing) would be appreciated.

here is a sticky that you may want to look over: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

sounds to me like your beer isn't carb'd yet... Also, I believe that you want to pour at a much lower psi than what you carb at...but it has been a long while since I have kegged, so I am no expert. Give that sticky a read, it should have everything you need :mug:

I did look over that one and its what made me think I just need more time. Great thread. I was mostly curious about what I'm dubing the "guinness effect." I haven't seen any reference to something like it so that's what concerned me.

Give it a week more at minimum. Try for 2 more weeks. CO2 being absorbed takes a while. You have the CO2 there, just slow to absorb

Yooper, do you think the beer is ready and is fully carbed or will I still need more time and the line length is an additional problem that will cause foaming even after I let the co2 fully absorb?

Wow do I feel stupid. I have 1/4" lines. So now it seems more apparent why 5ft at 14 psi would foam up.

I am utterly shocked at how well this worked. I always take advice from everyone here with a lot of optimism, but I have to say I was a little skeptical that smaller, longer lines would help the problem. I went with 10 ft of 3/16 and dropped the psi to 12 just to be on the safe side. The pour is just a little slower than you might see at your local pub's but its perfectly smooth with forms a nice bit of head after the pour, as opposed to coming out all foam and forming a small puddle of beer at the bottom. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Back