Question about Bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooseman923

Reaction score
I'm preparing to make a batch of Apfelwein and I've got a question about bottling. I'm planning on bottling after 3 months. I have the fermenting equipment, but I don't have any of the bottling equipment. I really don't want to have to buy a kit with the fermenting equipment, so could anyone make a list of the items that I would need for bottling, besides a bottling bucket and bottles. Thanks in advance!

Depends on the type of bottles you'll be using... If you go with Grolsch style, then you're almost done... If you go with Belgian style, you'll need/want a corker (floor corker being preferred), corks and cages (and the cage wire winding tool)... Otherwise, get a capper (wing or bench-top) for capping the bottles.

The only other thing I can think of that you'll need, besides a bottling wand (spring loaded tip) would be a good scale. Measure your priming sugar by weight, not volume. If you already have an auto-siphon, then you're set in that department... You should have everything else you'll need to bottle brew...

Personally, I skipped the capper when I got my first HB kit... Started with Grolsch bottles from brew 1, and haven't looked back. I am also starting to use the Belgian bottles, for my bigger beers. Big as in BarleyWine, Old Ale, maybe even the Strong Scotch Ale that was started on Sunday... :D

I probably going to use the Grolsch bottles to save hassle and re use the caps. Should I buy the bottles put together or can I just attach those flipper caps to any beer bottles?

Read through the link that Revvy provided!! I did and my first bottling experience was fun and very easy. The bottling wand attached to my spigot with a dip tube in the bucket worked like a charm. I had about a half a bottle left and drank it!

I am now at day 11 since I bottled and just got through looking at one of my bottles. Clearing up more and more each day.

Bottling does not have to be hard.

I probably going to use the Grolsch bottles to save hassle and re use the caps. Should I buy the bottles put together or can I just attach those flipper caps to any beer bottles?

The 'flipper' caps you mention normally need small dimples int he neck of the bottles to hold the wire bits in place.

Depending on how much you're paying per bottle, though, you may be served buying the actual Grolsch (if you like it) and drinking it and keeping the bottles. The one caveat is, as they are green bottles, you'll really have to keep them out of the light... But if it's for Apfelwein, it won't matter.

The 'flipper' caps you mention normally need small dimples int he neck of the bottles to hold the wire bits in place.

Depending on how much you're getting per bottle, though, you may be served buying the actual Grolsch (if you like it) and drinking it and keeping the bottles. The one caveat is, as they are green bottles, you'll really have to keep them out of the light... But if it's for Apfelwein, it won't matter.

Thanks! I guess I'm off to buy Grolsch! :)

Thanks! I guess I'm off to buy Grolsch! :)

I have a bunch of Grolsch bottles I collected that way that I use exclusively for carb'ed apfelwein. I had a choice between paying 3.95 per bottle, empty, at the local LHBS, ot paying 12.95$ for a pack of 4 beers.

Hmm. :mug:

I've got close to 100 grolsch bottles plus about 7 litre bottles that I've picked up from people. My first 50 I paid $1.50 each and I've been on the hunt for deals ever since. I've managed to pick up the rest for about $0.50 each, some I even snagged for free :ban:

Depending on where you get the Grolsch bottles, the vendor/LHBS could assemble them for you. They are NOT difficult, since the tops come assembled, and it's just a matter of putting them on (two ends of thick wire into the dimples, DONE)... I usually get the fresh bottles next to my chair while watching TV (and having a home brew) and put them together for use the next bottling day. Once they are together, you don't need to take them apart. Every 5-6 brews, you'll probably want to replace the gasket on them (no biggie there either)...

One of the other advantages of the Grolsch bottles is their size... 16oz as opposed to 12oz... Means you can usually fit a 5 gallon batch in abou ~30 bottles... I have a couple of 1L sized bottles. Using three of those, I used 27 of the 16oz bottles for a 4.5-5 gallon batch... With Belgian bottles, you can use just 24 for a full 5 gallon batch. You just need to properly cork and cage them (not bad once you've done it one time)...

Another advantage of Grolsch bottles is you can fill them with, holding the bottle with one hand (the wand in the other) and close them as you move them away from the wand... No need to go back with a capper after you've filled them all. I think it's so much easier, that it's worth the few dollars more they cost... Although, to fill the same volume with home brew, you'll probably end up spending about the same amount of money (getting new bottles)...

I will say that I'm more reluctant to hand out my bottles than if they were 12 ouncers... I have to make the people promise to return them once done (washed out since I've yet to find a bottle brush that fits into the opening)...

I would suggest getting some of the bottles you're interested in using. Give them a try and see how you like them...

I've got close to 100 grolsch bottles plus about 7 litre bottles that I've picked up from people. My first 50 I paid $1.50 each and I've been on the hunt for deals ever since. I've managed to pick up the rest for about $0.50 each, some I even snagged for free :ban:

Sir, you SUCK!!! :drunk: :mug: lol

I picked up 5 cases of Belgian bottles (yesterday) for about $1.50 [USD, not that funny Canadian money] each... They were first discounted for being in 'ugly' boxes... Then another discount for buying 5 cases at one time... I'll probably do that again next time... At least until I've wiped them out of the bottles. :D These suckers have been there for years... I think they mentioned getting them more than a few years ago since someone wanted them. They never sold any more (or maybe even the ones requested)... The person I usually see at the LHBS has been working there for about 4 or 5 years, and he had never even sold a package of the corks before I bought some... :D Not sure where I'll get them once the ones they have are gone (over to my place)...

I have a bunch of Grolsch bottles I collected that way that I use exclusively for carb'ed apfelwein. I had a choice between paying 3.95 per bottle, empty, at the local LHBS, ot paying 12.95$ for a pack of 4 beers.

Hmm. :mug:

I just got back from my local bottle shop and I got 5 Gloschs for 14.49 incl tax. Not bad considering I get beer with the bottles!

Back