Forgot to shake my wort....am I ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaChubbler

Reaction score
Darnit...ok, I have brewed a total of 3 batches....the first batch, my friend watched over me....however, my last two batches were solo, and I forgot to shake my ale pail after I added the wort and water (partial boil, of course)...when I added the wort from the auto siphon, I kept the hose above the water level to introduce more O2, and poured the 2.5 gallons of water in 'violently', again to introduce more O2, however, I forgot to shake the ale pail once everything was in there.
Please note, there was about an 8-12 hours of lag time for each batch, and both batches showed pretty active fermentation (lots of bubbles coming out of the airlock), and then started slowing down towards day 7.

Currently both batches are in their respective secondaries.

Question 1: Will the batches be ok (Cream Ale & Nut Brown)?
Question 2: Is there anything I can or should do now that they are in their secondaries?
The Nut Brown is about ready to bottle, and the Cream Ale was just moved into the secondary yesterday.
Question 3: Lets say there was a lack of O2, what characteristics could the beer present by the lack of shaking of my ale pail?

Lastly, thanks to everyone who answers my questions, I find this site an invaluable resource for my introduction into the hobby.

Sounds fine to me, if you're worried about aeration in the future I would recommend pouring your wort into the bucket through a strainer rather than siphoning it in. This is what I do and it has been fine. May not be the ideal method for really high gravity ales, but I haven't made any of those yet (although I do have one in the on deck circle).

For the most part you don't have to worry about aeration when you're doing partial boils of 4% - 7% ABV beers and splashing the top-off water.

The aeration from adding the top-off water will be plenty for a "normal" beer". High gravity beers like a Russian Imperial, or Barleywine, or an Imperial IPA require more oxygen than most beers. You would know if you under-aerated the wort by an excessive lagtime before fermentation (in the 24 to 36 hour range).

Unless you do full boils, I don't think you'll have a problem with aeration.

Boiling depletes the O2, but you're adding three gallons of fresh water, plus splashing on the way in. I never shook or stirred when I was doing partial boils and never had a problem.

Back