kegging opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I'm want to start kegging my beer, but don't have fridge space for 5 gallon corny kegs. So I'm looking at the 2-3 gallon systems that use disposable CO2 cartridges for charging. The idea is that I can chill and use smaller kegs in less fridge space as needed.

Does anyone have experience or opinions regarding these? What would be good and what should I avoid?

Thanks.

From what I have seen the 3 gallon kegs are usually much more money and harder to find than the 5 gallon corny's.

If you have the room I would just try to find a used fridge online just for the kegs, and maybe in the future convert it to a kegerator

So, I considered this, and even bought a 2.5g keg. In the end it's still too big - I can only fit it in my fridge by moving the shelves up and taking out the vegetable tray. So I gave up and bought a mini-fridge and converted it. Just a heads up to do your measurements and maybe put a box/bucket in there for a while just to see if you can live without that fridge space before sinking 100 bucks on a smaller keg (while you can get the big ones for 30 bucks each).

I wouldn't go with the portable charger as a permanent solution. It won't force carbonate, or keep carbonation (without a lot of guesswork) - You'll have to prime with sugar, and then as you dispense basically guess how much gas to push in in order to keep ~12 psi, or your beer will gradually go flat. It's great for portability, but I went through a canister just to serve a 2.5g keg (at very low serving pressure), I just can't see keeping carbonation with one of those without going through a lot of canisters.

If you can't fit a 5lb tank in your fridge, I've seen some systems that use paintball cans (20 oz). My only worry about those is that I think some cans contain non-foodsafe lubricant (for the paintball gun barrels). I've also seen some 2.5lb aluminum tanks online, but you'll probably have to find a place to fill those, I doubt you could trade those in.

Back