Cherry Stout Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WollenBrew

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers, I have a Northern Brewer Cherry Stout kit and had a question regarding boil time. Does this stout need to have a two hour boil?

Thanks!

Most likely not. When is the first hop addition? Longer boils like that are usually only for big AG beers.

Hi Wollen. I made a cherry stout recently (its bottle conditioning now). It was all-grain and I did a regular one-hour boil, fermented as normal, then racked to a secondary over cherry puree.

What do your directions say? I agree with Parker, a two hour boil seems too long.

Completely :off: but . . . which Manhattan do you live in?

Cheers!

@ Pappers - Manhattan Kansas. And the directions are for a one hour boil. The only reason I asked was because Northern sends out a standard instruction sheet with their kits and I recently did a Scottish Wee Heavy that I should have done a 2 hour boil on , but the instructions only said 1 hour. So, I just wanted to make sure a 1 hour boil was enough on a stout.

@Parker36 - I think the hop addition is a 60 min. addition so for the whole boil.

Got it. Yes, for your normal gravity stout, a one hour boil is perfect.

For your Wee Heavy, a longer boil is often used to:

1. Promote some carmelization of the wort and

2. Because it is a high gravity beer (more boil off = higher OG)

Good luck with the stout!

A longer boil will also drive off more dimethyl sulfide precursors, but an hour is usually sufficient anyway.

30 min. into the Dark Cherry Stout boil... any thoughts on names? Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of "Pop Your Dark Cherry Stout"

@jackson d - cool... we have a population of around 50k so even with an initial it's tough to pinpoint. Does he brew? We have a local brew club here and if he brews he may be a member. :)

Wollen, When I first did NB kits, their basic directions confused me a little, after doing the 2nd one, I realized its best to follow the timing guidlines list with the ingredients on the box lid of the kit. Much easier that way.

BTW - GO K S U Wilidcats!!!!!

@BeerCigars - hey hey hey... Go Cats! :)

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, after about my third brew, I realized that the kit had a bit more detail on it than the instructions did. And... even better... here in this forum I've found a lot of great advice on this type of thing as well. The stout turned out really well. I nailed the OG at 1.053 so hopefully it'll turn out well.

Zoiks! Came home today and the Dark Cherry Stout (which, btw had started bubbling 30 min. after I had pitched the yeast) had blown roughly a half gallon of the wort through the blow off tube into my overflow bucket (which was about half full of sanitizer). Anyway, the damn thing was nearly full and the bubbles are so "explosive" coming through the tube that it had splattered wort around the overflow bucket onto my table. Thank God for blow-off tubes. I had no idea that this particular stout would have such an active initial fermentation.

Not really. I dont like their customer service and prices.
Centro in Lawrence has an even better selection. Most of the time I order online or trade with guys on another Forum.

Back