Anticipated flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just got done boiling up my first batch. I'm wondering if anyone can give me clues of the tastes it will have. I'm geussing quite sweat, with maybe a bit of nuts and possibly a mild bitter bite. But I am realllly not sure about the bitter, cause I might have over done the hops for alpha content. I'm sure it will still be good, and I'm gonna relax. not worry. and sono have a homebrew. But i'm curious. This is what I did:

Ingred. (5 G):
3.3 lbs hopped mutons dark lme
3.3 lbs mutons dark lme
1/2 lbs chocolate malt
1 oz chinook 11.9% hop pellets
2 oz gypsum
6 grams mutons active brewing yeast (dry)

crushed choc. malt and simmered at 155 for 30 minutes. Sparged, brought to boil, added rest of ing. other then yeast. Boiled 60 min. sparged again into fermenter, with 3 g cold water. Topped off to 5 g. Cooled. Rehydrated yeast, added yeast.

thats it folks:)
-John

Well, I think you can forget having that batch taste like Heineken. I'm thinking Black Jack Roof Cement! :)

Bleck! Thank god it won't taste like heineken. Lol. that's one of my least favorite beers. Bleck! Lol. Skunky water. :)

I'm not psychic, or anything, but I'd be willing to bet it's going to have a flavor reminiscent of some sort of beer. Probably a fairly good kick, too. Let us know how it turns out.

Monkey

Not really. I didn't have a target style in mind. The flavors I'm hoping for r quite sweet, with a little bit of darker nuttyness, and a bitter 'tang'. not linguring but enought to take the edge of the sweet. Was trying to keep it simple and not throw to much in there, so I had a better chance of telling what flavors where what in the finished product.

oo, I just found beer tools. Looks like it will be closest to a dry stout.

Predicted Dry Stout Compliance
Original Gravity 1.046 1.036 - 1.050 100 %
Terminal Gravity 1.011 1.007 - 1.011 96 %
Color 26.14 °SRM 25.00 - 40.00 °SRM 100 %
Bitterness 43.8 IBU 30.00 - 45.00 IBU 100 %
Alcohol (%volume) 4.6 % 4.00 - 5.00 % 100 %
99 % overall

I don't know how many IBU's you get out of the hopped extract, but with the Chinook alone, it's already fairly bitter.

ya, the chinook was a mistake. But working for my favor is the concentrated boil. According to beertools it seems that will cut the ibu down. I'm not to worried about he hopped extract. I got that when i wasn't gonna use any hops then changed my mind when i heard ppl say u get almost nothing from those. So since I've heard that, i'm not worrying about it.:)

I like bitter. :D I also like good aroma too, though.

It's an interesting recipe, for sure. Not quite sure where it fits in, though. I'd almost say it's like a big Scottish (or Scotch?) ale. Big, dark, and malty, no hop flavor or aroma. Not 100% on the style guidelines, so your bitterness might be a little high, but it's not too much, IMO.

It'll be beer, and it'll be your first. Just like a proud papa, I'm willing to bet you'll love it, even it it turns out ugly. :D Congrats!!

Strong, dark, and bittersweet... sounds like Old Peculier to me. That's not a bad beer to aim for. One of the few in England that really glued me to the stool in the pub. Actually, it glued me to the floor...

Back