Spokane beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
This is a question for anyone who lives or lived in the Spokane, WA. area.

I am looking for info on Spokane beer history and what you think might be in store for the spokane beer scene in the future?

I was recently wondering the same thing. I work at the Viking Tavern and have just started getting into home brewing. I am wondering, where are all the homebrewers clubs and how can i get involved? Jim's Home Brew on Division is a great resource, so you might want to check them out, too.

All I know is that there is another Spokane Cork and Keg even happening this november and I intend on going no matter what. I also want to try to get some beer lovers and home brewers together in Spokane.

that is what i want to see happen too! if you guys need a home, or if you want any help networking, stop by and see me at the Viking. i want to see a weekly or bi-monthly beer club or home brewers club start up that i can be a part of....

that is what i want to see happen too! if you guys need a home, or if you want any help networking, stop by and see me at the Viking. i want to see a weekly or bi-monthly beer club or home brewers club start up that i can be a part of....

So, why dont we try to organize one? It wouldnt be hard to do and wouldnt cost much if anything at all. I know the local taverns and pubs would love to accommodate such a group.

Spokane cork and keg? Where can I get more info?!? I haven't heard about that yet. I guess I don't get to Spokane often enough. (Live in CDA)

I was talking to Gage Stromberg at Steam Plant abut a similar group. The idea I had was to basically form a group that wants to brew something unique. Then, brew it using Steam Plant's Equipment and each member takes home their own keg. If members can't accommodate a keg perhaps they could get some sort of "beer card" that would prepay for Steam Plant to maintain the brew for club member use or something (still have to work that part out, I guess). Any interest in something like that?

I was talking to Gage Stromberg at Steam Plant abut a similar group. The idea I had was to basically form a group that wants to brew something unique. Then, brew it using Steam Plant's Equipment and each member takes home their own keg. If members can't accommodate a keg perhaps they could get some sort of "beer card" that would prepay for Steam Plant to maintain the brew for club member use or something (still have to work that part out, I guess). Any interest in something like that?

That sounds like a great idea!

I am sure I could get a few other people involved as well

Man I forgot all about this thread. Getting some sort of group together is a great idea for sure.

Sounds Great! I'm in. Should we make this part of the Inland Brewing group or vice-versa?

Good Question! I was thinking about a page on Facebook as the visibility would be higher and the interface is pretty slick for getting info posted and out to users. The more important question is what to name the group? Inland Homebrewing Occidental Protagonists (I-HOP, for short!)? Maybe we could meet up with the folks from Steam Plant to confirm that they would allow us to brew a batch on their equipment and start planning the first meeting.

Isn't it about time that Spokane joins Seattle and Portland as a Northwest beer town?

Good Question! I was thinking about a page on Facebook as the visibility would be higher and the interface is pretty slick for getting info posted and out to users. The more important question is what to name the group? Inland Homebrewing Occidental Protagonists (I-HOP, for short!)? Maybe we could meet up with the folks from Steam Plant to confirm that they would allow us to brew a batch on their equipment and start planning the first meeting.

Isn't it about time that Spokane joins Seattle and Portland as a Northwest beer town?

Or how about Inland Brewers United (IBU)!

Ok, I created a facebook page for IBU. Feel free to join and maybe we can get together sometime and talk or brew beer.

Hey!

I started a FB page titled "Inland Brewers Unite (IBU), Spokane." Anyone interested in joining and maybe getting together to drink a few brews and talk beer/beer brewing?

Hey all,

I live in Colfax. I've been in conversations with Mark Emily, the Executive director of the Washington Homebrewers Association about the lack of WAHA events in Eastern Washington. We had a nice long conversation and essentially what it boils down to is we are not organized in Eastern Washington. Western Washington has a plethora of beer clubs and has 96 BJCP certified beer judges- the clubs are all tight knit and come together to do lots of neat stuff, including competitions. Over here, we have only one or two small homebrew clubs, are unorganized, and have only 2- yes, TWO certified beer judges east of the cascades, making it pretty much impossible to have competitions. If we get enough interest, WAHA will work with us to host a BJCP in either Richland or Spokane.. But we have to mobilize and organize first.. WAHA is a GREAT resource and if we form a relationship with them, the sky is the limit.

Anyway, count me in IBU.. How many folks does that make now? When and where should we meet? I am ready to get this show on the road!

This is a question for anyone who lives or lived in the Spokane, WA. area.

I am looking for info on Spokane beer history and what you think might be in store for the spokane beer scene in the future?

BTW, a great book on the subject is "Beer and Brewing in the Inland Northwest: 1850-1950." It's by Herman Ronnenberg. A majority of the book is dedicated to Idaho, but there is lots of good stuff on Spokane and many other small eastern washington towns as well.

Hey GroosBrewz!
This is exactly the type of info I hoped we could get by formalizing a little bit through facebook and home brew talk forums. I think we are in the mid 20's for the IBU group and will try to have a social meeting soon to discuss what we want to do with the group. Having the support and/or ideas from WAHA would really be great. In fact, it might be fun to become a chapter, if that is possible. My main thought is that recently there has not much beer culture in and around Spokane yet there are plenty of people who want it.

Places like Blue Spark and the Hop Shop offer some refuge for those who like better beers, but IBU can maybe help homebrewers get together. There is a group called Brew-ha-ha in town too, so maybe we can form one big group or create several different groups that complement each other.

Hey Clattin!

Good. I am glad we are on the same page.. Mark Emily, has informed me that the WBC is hosting an Oktoberfest celebration in Spokane.. I dont have the details yet, but Mark said they would like to try to get homebrewers mobilized to help run the event.. It would be a great chance to meet, discuss plans, and have some good beers.. So maybe we can all meet soon.. I will keep you posted on this event as I hear more about it...

Edit- I have no idea what WBC means.. World Beer Cup?

Hey Clattin!

Good. I am glad we are on the same page.. Mark Emily, Executive Director of WAHA, has informed me that the WBC is hosting an Oktoberfest celebration in Spokane.. I dont have the details yet, but Mark said they would like to try to get homebrewers mobilized to help run the event.. It would be a great chance to meet, discuss plans, and have some good beers.. So maybe we can all meet soon.. I will keep you posted on this event as I hear more about it...

Edit- I have no idea what WBC means.. World Beer Cup?

I would gladly help out at an Oktoberfest!

I would also like to find the info to start studying to become a Judge !

I would gladly help out at an Oktoberfest!

I would also like to find the info to start studying to become a Judge !

Hey Cheeto,

You are the first one I thought of.. I knew you'd help out with this.. And I had a feeling you'd be willing to study for and take the BJCP exam.. Historically, people to who study together in groups, and take the test together do much better.. So if we get the ball rolling on this, we should put together some study sessions...

Hopefully this Oktoberfest thing works out and we can all meet and drink some beer!

Please do. I have seen some advertisements for the Oktoberfest and would be glad to get involved at some level. I know others would too.

Recently moved to Spokane and was amazed after asking around at places like the Hop Shop by the lack of a homebrew club in the area. I was/am a part of Hells Canyon Hombrewers www.hchbrewers.com in Lewiston/Clarkston where we just had our annual homebrew only Oktoberfest.
If anybody is interested I'd be happy to share how the club ran down there. It was very simple.
One thing that I think would help the new Spokane club would be to set a permanent meeting time, ie. last Wed of the month @7pm. There's no way everybody will be able to make every meeting but if you have the meeting the same day and time every month, people will adjust their schedules months in advance to attend.

We have been planning the meetings always for around 6 PM on the first Tuesday of the month, though we skipped July and August guessing that people were on vacation and such. I think we were discussing the Flying Goat for next month's meeting. So, come join us!

Please do share your ideas on the FB page and during the meetings. In forming IBU, my intention was primarily to get us all on one page and see what interests people had. In fact, I wasn't approaching it as a homebrew club per se, but as a club that somehow brings together to brewers of all levels (commercial and homebrewers). Put simply, Spokane has a rather sporadic beer culture. Thankfully, the beer culture is growing, though we've got a long way to go if we want to be like some of the great beer towns such as Portland or even Seattle. My hope is that IBU fosters and promotes local beer culture.

One way we are starting to meet the goal that I originally had is we're going to brew a homebrew creation on a commercial scale (hence, uniting brewers). So, we are having a brew-off in December. The winning creation will be brewed in a 300 gallon batch by Steam Plant Grill (and we'll need folks interested in committing to buying a keg or two, if you are interested). I'll post details next week so everyone can start creating their unique brew.

We are starting to take shape, but I really want to get others involved in deciding how we should develop. Sounds like you have some ideas, so please share either here or on FB.

I should also point out that there is another club in town called Brew Ha Ha. I think they are more of a strictly homebrew club, but don't quote me on that. My hope with IBU, as I said, is as a facilitator of beer culture generally and trying to get more people brewing at home and commercially. Speaking of which, I think it would be awesome if some IBU members started their own commercial operations.

Would love to make it to a meeting, but not on facebook, tried to use my wifes and found the ibu page, but couldn't find the "group" that is mentioned to get any of the details.
Have met Bernie, President and Brewmaster of Golden Hills at the Hop Shop. He was very willing to have me tour the brewery and bring samples of my brew for "an honest" opinion.
Also am good friends with the Brewmaster and owners of Riverport Brewery in Clarkston. They taught me how to brew. Tried to see them at the first Spokane Oktoberfest, but unfortunately no kids allowed in that event.
Between the new move to Spokane, the new job and the new son, may have trouble making a meeting for a while.
However, will hopefully be brewing a batch for your brew off, is this just like a competition, bring 2-3 bottles in December and see who wins?

Latest posts

Back