Want to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmutt24

Reaction score
I have had a Kegerator for a few years now, but now I would now like to keg the beer I make. :D I've looked around and can't seem to find an firm answer to my question. Do I need anything other then a corny keg to be able to do this? I don't need any form of Coupler to tap into it?

You'll need a Corney, some Keg Lube, and CO2/Regulator. You'll need the IN for the CO2, and a picnic tap at a minimum.

You will probably need to modify the line from the tap to the corny that now uses a sankey coupler.

All you need to keg is a Corney keg and some sugar.

Now if you want to get your beer back out you may want to invest in some more things.

You will need a liquid out ball lock connector. They do not accept sankey taps.

You don't need keg tube but it does help. It is a food grade lubricant that makes sliding the connectors on and off easier.

Take what you have to your local home brew shop and tell them to hook it up and sell you what you don't have. You may pay a few bucks extra for the stuff rather than buy used or craigslist but you will get some information and it's worth the money. Have your co2 tank filled while you are there.

Thanks for the info. This help out alot

Take what you have to your local home brew shop and tell them to hook it up and sell you what you don't have. You may pay a few bucks extra for the stuff rather than buy used or craigslist but you will get some information and it's worth the money. Have your co2 tank filled while you are there.

I would but no place with in a reasonable driving distance.

I did not understand the info on kegging either. I had to go to the LHBS and ask them to hook it up & demonstrate to me. I felt stupid doing it, but hey if you want to learn you have to ask. When I first called them they told me to go on utube & look for a video, I told well I'm coming in to buy grain & other things anyway can't you take a look at what I've got & sell me what I need. They sold me a new regulator and hoses & taps and ball locks so it was well worth their time to give me a 15 minute how to use your keg for dummies class.
these are a couple of the videos that were recommended to me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5m5o1_8do&feature=related]YouTube - Kegging Home Brew Beer[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2IZ2TPcIw]YouTube - Using Cornelius Kegs[/ame]

good luck.

The 2nd video suggests naturally carbonating the keg with only 1/3 a cup of corn sugar instead of 3/4 of a cup. Is 3/4 really too much?

I assumed you would use the same amount as if you were bottling a batch.

You need less sugar when naturally carbing in a keg because you are starting out with a pressurized cyender, and it is not spread out across several bottles.

Back