best portable dispenser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
I got a bunch of paintball tanks from ebay and I am going to buy a pin valve regulator and a keg glove, now I just need to know what to serve the beer with. I really only know of three options: picnic tap with either 1ft or 5ft of hose and a faucet attached directly to the qd. Clearly the cost favors the picnic tap, but my concern is that the beer in the hose will get warm...also the picnic taps leak a little, but that really is not much of a concern outside. So which do you guys prefer? If using the faucet do you simply turn down the psi to avoid foaming?

I use picnic taps in my kegerator (for now). I haven't had any issues with leakage.

I would use the 5 foot hose, to cut down on foaming.

I also use one in my kegerator, but this will be for parties or at parades(mardi gras is coming up), so I am concerned about the outside temp warming up the beer in the line.

I was going to run a paintball co2 tank in a backpack. For kegs I was going to use 2L pop bottles. You can buy 3L pop bottles from specialty brew shops. Those would probably work better.

To make the pop bottles into mini kegs I built a counter pressure bottle filler usign 1/2" water fittings. The same stuff underground sprinkers use. Basically theres a 1/2" t fitting with one end screwing into the bottle lid and the other has a small hose going into it(beer out). The side of the T fitting is where CO2 is pumped in. I'll see if I can get a picture. I ended up putting a pressure guage in mine to. I will be using it to fill pop bottles out of a keg to take to parties.

I take my beer to Mardi Gras, and I don't have any foaming problems. Partly because it's usually in the 50s, and partly becuase it gets poured so often there is no time for it to warm up!

Found this awhile back...

DSC01818.JPG

New Page 1

DSC01834.JPG

You can also go with a 5L or jam a bung in a drilled 2L cap.

152797269_44a1568231_o.jpg

o yeah, duh. :cross: 20oz is just over a pound so if you have a 5 pounder and can get 5-8+ kegs you should be able to get one and a little more keg out of a paintball tank....thanks for talking me through this!:mug:

I have two paintball tanks available so this will be good.

This may mean more refilling for some people, but I purely want my keg "system" for portability and infrequent one time uses.

I am going to be using the same thing. You just have to make sure that your tank either has an on/off valve instead of pin valve or a paintball remote line since the reg doesnt have anything to depress the pin in the valve

Most people only dispense with the paintball tank and they dispense and carb with the 5# tank, so you can probably dispense a lot more than one keg with a 20oz tank.

Thats a good point but I plan on doing everything with it so thats why I said that its a little more than 1/5 of a 5lb

Back