Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fallout 3 is on my all time favorite list too, hoping 4 is more like it than New Vegas, which wasn't bad but not nearly as good.

I started to play the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO for free around new years. It was good enough to get 15 bucks for a month subscription to get the member benefits. Easy to play too!

I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and the wife got me III for christmas. I must say it has not sucked me in as all the other games have and I'm a bit disappointed by it

Oh man. Still it will hold me over knowing it is coming. DA:3 was announced, but with no date yet, I'm just hoping it's not rushed. I'll wait till '14 if they do it correctly. Same with Witcher, if it's done correctly and not rushed, it's worth the wait.

I'm still looking for what I'm going to be playing in the Spring and Summer. Nothing is really jumping at me as a "gotta have" for my taste in games.

Definitely agree. 2013 isn't looking like much.

I loved DA 1 and 99.9% of the mass effect series. I used to always get bioware games on day 1 but they rushed DA 2 and now the doctors are gone, I think I'm gonna wait and see how their new games will turn out.

I didnt even know Witcher was coming out with another sequel.

Witcher 2 was pretty ok, in my opinino, better than a lot of others, but it was nowhere near its predecessor. Also, good a character as Triss is, its a lot more fun to watch Geralt boink his way around the multiverse.

W2 WAS the first time anyone tried to give trolls some nuance though... that was cool.

I didnt even know Witcher was coming out with another sequel.

Witcher 2 was pretty ok, in my opinino, better than a lot of others, but it was nowhere near its predecessor. Also, good a character as Triss is, its a lot more fun to watch Geralt boink his way around the multiverse.

W2 WAS the first time anyone tried to give trolls some nuance though... that was cool.

I never played the first one. Can't afford a nice gaming rig. Compared to other xbox RPGs, #2 is one of the best by far. There were rumors of #1 being ported to the xbox though. I'd love to see that.

I never played the first one. Can't afford a nice gaming rig. Compared to other xbox RPGs, #2 is one of the best by far. There were rumors of #1 being ported to the xbox though. I'd love to see that.

I bet a fairly new stock computer today could play #1 on factory settings.

I didn't pick up ME3 cause I heard everyone ***** about the ending but now that the game is down to being like 30 bucks I think I will pick it up.

It's a really great game, but it's definitely a shame that the last hour taints the previous 20+.

It's a really amazing trilogy and one day I'll go back and replay them in order, but the final one really felt like they had built up the story and protagonists so much they didn't have a decent way of concluding the storyline so they just said fark it.

Unless they've done so again, their expanded ending really wasn't much different and still followed the same lame concept of the first ending.

That's what I heard as well. You got a slightly more satisfying ending but in the end not quite really.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
I didn't pick up ME3 cause I heard everyone ***** about the ending but now that the game is down to being like 30 bucks I think I will pick it up.

I've really enjoyed the storyline in the series despite the ending of the third. The story and choices you get make along the way add to the experience.

The multiplayer alone is worth it. A lot of different characters and classes, and each have different abilities that you can spec. I have a bunch of buddies that I game with about once a week. Multiplayer is quite fun when you know the people you are playing with.

Over the holiday break I was mostly laid up with an virus my lovely wife imparted to me before taking off for Japan. So, I spent most of the time playing video games rather than doing anything which involved physical activity or meeting other people in person so I could avoid spreading my illness.

In no particular order, I played through the following:

Black Mesa -- excellent remake of Half-Life in Half-Life 2 engine
Metro 2033 -- Fantastically atmospheric shooter set in a post-nuclear Moscow underground tunnel system with occasional detours above-ground
Spec Ops: The Line -- a military shooter with a great narrative story largely cribbed from Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now
Quantum Conundrum -- an above-average puzzley physics game made by the person who designed Portal 1&2. which, if you haven't played them, you really should because they are fantastic and you can get them dirt cheap nowadays
The Walking Dead -- excellent episodic choose-your-own adventure style game based on the comics/TV series. I thought the writing in the game was much better than the series. The gameplay was "average" I guess but the incredible story and writing really make up for that.
Hotline Miami -- super fun ultraviolent retro action game where you go around contract killing people. It gets more and more surreal as the game progresses

And I also played some "classic" games although I didn't get through them by the time I got back to work. On my iPad I have been playing through the original Bard's Tale mostly for nostalgia, and I also have been playing through the original Fallout on my laptop, not for nostalgia because when it came out I could never get the damn game to install and run properly. But, now I can so I'm playing it.

The game I most recently got sucked into was FTL: Faster than Light. I picked it up for $5 on sale on Steam and it is an incredible game. I played it 35 hours the first week I had it! If you haven't seen or heard of it, here's a video of a guy playing through it:

@weirdboy The Walking Dead just won a bunch of awards at the Spike VGAs, I haven't seen the show or played the game but I'm definitely interested in both. Do you think it's important to watch the show before playing the games? Or vice versa?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really enjoyed the storyline in the series despite the ending of the third. The story and choices you get make along the way add to the experience.

Without getting into too many spoilers that was actually a major gripe of mine. Having played all three games and importing saves from 1 -> 2 -> 3 I was disappointed by the lack of impact my prior choices made in the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing trilogy and the third game is still fantastic, but the ending definitely was the flat spot instead of the highlight it could have been.

@weirdboy The Walking Dead just won a bunch of awards at the Spike VGAs, I haven't seen the show or played the game but I'm definitely interested in both. Do you think it's important to watch the show before playing the games? Or vice versa?

Absolutely no reason to watch the show to play the game or vice-versa. The stories are completely independent of one another, and there's really no reason to watch the TV show. In fact, there's a couple of minor spoilers that happen in the game if you have watched the TV show first (or vice-versa I suppose), but even if you have it's no big deal.

The great thing about the game is that it is broken up into five roughly two-hour episodes. So, you can play an episode one night, take a break (you'll probably want to), and then play another one a day or week later. Also a note: I have seen several people I know who picked it up recently in the big holiday sales who complained that the pacing was kind of slow and they never really got into it and didn't finish the first episode. However, the first episode is probably the weakest one because they still hadn't worked out the gameplay mechanics very well in some spots, and they also had a lot of work to do establishing characters and whatnot, which took away a bit from the character and story development that you'd typically see. However, if you can make it to the end of the first episode it gets better as it progresses, and then by the end of the second episode it gets really good. And by the end of the first "season" if you are not taken in by the story you're probably not human.

I also have been playing through the original Fallout on my laptop, not for nostalgia because when it came out I could never get the damn game to install and run properly. But, now I can so I'm playing it.

i bought the fallout pack off of steam a few years back.

dear lord is the original fallout facking hard.

Also, I heard a lot of bad things about metro 2033, but was always interested in it ... worth it ?

i bought the fallout pack off of steam a few years back.

dear lord is the original fallout facking hard.

Also, I heard a lot of bad things about metro 2033, but was always interested in it ... worth it ?

Totally worth it. I am not sure what bad things you heard. One thing I'd suggest is playing it on an easier difficulty setting than you might normally, as ammo can be pretty scarce in some spots (you really need to be scavenging as much as you can find all the time), and becomes moreso the higher the difficulty as the enemies get tougher to kill. There are also a few tough sections in the game that can be a bit frustrating, but nothing totally outrageous, and I think experiencing the overall atmosphere and story are worth it. The last chapter or so of the game is sort of a letdown compared to the rest of it, though, but I thought the same thing about Half-Life and that doesn't stop it from being a fantastic game....it's just a fantastic game with a crappy ending.

EDIT: whoops I posted a link to a promotion NVidia had been doing at the end of last year, which apparently ended already, where they were giving away free steam codes for the game. It's still very easy to find dirt cheap, and totally worth the insanely low prices you can find it selling for. If you're not in a hurry to play it right now, I'd suggest waiting a couple of months and it will assuredly go on sale for $5 or less again.

Unless they've done so again, their expanded ending really wasn't much different and still followed the same lame concept of the first ending.

Yeah, it was more of an extended cutscene than an entirely new ending. I don't think they've added to it any more since then.

When the uproar first came out over the ending, I read an interview with some of the designers, and they explained the complaints off by saying that the entire third game is the ending, so all the choices you made during the other games would result in cameos from minor characters, or certain forces being available to fight the Reapers or not. Also, they resolved other side plots like the genophage, the Quarian/Geth war, and stuff like that. I can kind of understand that, but having everything come down to a decision between 3 ending cutscenes still felt a bit lazy on their part. Oh well. It was a fun game series nonetheless.

Must avoid Mass Effect 3 ending tirade....

I just picked up Far Cry 3 on Thursday. This game is awesome. Highly recommended.

I want to pick up Far Cry 3, but I'm saving my money for the big games I want this year, Gears Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5, and if they come out this year, the Stick of Truth and Watch Dogs. Though my hunch is Watch Dogs will not come out this year.

Looks like the PS4 will be announced officially on February 20th. Word is it's due out for the holiday season, or earlier, and will feature a brand new controller that has a video screen where the start, select, and PS button are. Rumor is that that screen will allow you to share your screen captures and videos from your game with friends with a click or two. They say the PS4 will record the last 15 minutes of gameplay constantly and allow you to go in and edit videos and share. So, anyone think it'll be cheaper than $600 at launch?

I got Far Cry for $40 used. I think watch dogs is already confirmed for next gen consoles so it would be out at the end of the year at the earliest.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ps4 is well over 600 but maybe they learned a lesson from this generation.

I love video games. Pretty much any stripe I'll enjoy, except for sports and racing games. Platform and one-on-one fighting games are alright, but I get bored of them quickly (where my wife loves the platform games). I'd say RPGs are the top. I love the whole Elder Scrolls series (between them I've probably put more than 6000 hours into them). I dig the Fallout series too. I also play a lot of the Assassin's Creed series, as well as Call of Duty. The first few games in the Splinter Cell series were awesome too.

Looks like the PS4 will be announced officially on February 20th. Word is it's due out for the holiday season, or earlier, and will feature a brand new controller that has a video screen where the start, select, and PS button are. Rumor is that that screen will allow you to share your screen captures and videos from your game with friends with a click or two. They say the PS4 will record the last 15 minutes of gameplay constantly and allow you to go in and edit videos and share. So, anyone think it'll be cheaper than $600 at launch?

I heard it could be $350-399.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rice-point-for-next-playstation-xbox-consoles

This post started in 2006... "Never ending video game thread?"

This is the first playstation I probably won't be in line to get at launch. I just don't have the time to game as much so I have a huge backlog, and I don't know what the PS4 is going to have over the 3 for a while. Graphics alone aren't going to do it for me anymore.

I'd be really tempted to buy it day one for $349.99, I'd probably wait till Black Friday or Christmas if it was more than that. That's assuming it's released in October like the article says. I think I paid 600 for the first PS3 when I was in Korea, it was so huge.

I hear ya. I might pay 350 sight unseen, but anything more I would want 2 year warranty and some decent launch titles.

I'd hope for Uncharted 4 on release, but not sure they can talk them into doing it for what might be a limited number of consoles at launch.

I agree. That whole red ring bullsh*t was ridiculous. You pay top dollar for a defective product.

Yeah at least Microsoft extended the warranty on it. I sent I think 2 or 3 back with RROD but it did hurt my playing time. I'm actually in the middle of being pissed off at Microsoft so I may buy the WiiU a little early. I think it's asinine that you need to be a gold member to use Hulu and Netflix. The free content I can understand but those shenanigans require a subscription. When I was a big gamer it didn't phase me cause I played games online anyway but now I'm thinking I could spend 60 bucks on Live, or spend 290 more and get a new system and never have to pay a fee to play online. It's something I'm seriously considering if I ever get pissed off enough at my XBox

Back