Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store 5 gallons in a food grade bucket and lid. Only sanitize items that have already been washed and rinsed. Most say it is good as long as it is clear. I change mine every other batch but I'm a little sanitiation paranoid.

I make up a gallon at a time, and store it in an old Carlo Rossi jug. It lasts long enough that I end up spilling most of it over the course of a few weeks, when I transfer it back to the jug after using it and haven't had it go bad yet.

Yooper, how much do you use per gallon? And do you need to wear rubber gloves and a mask? I bought some of this today and read the warnings...sounds like it will kill the whole neighborhood and melt through to China from the way that's written! How do you take precautions?

It's not as toxic as it sounds. I don't wear gloves or a mask. If anything I use it to rinse/wash my hands.

It's not as toxic as it sounds. I don't wear gloves or a mask. If anything I use it to rinse/wash my hands.

Don't mess with the concentrate. It's totally safe in diluted form though. If doing one gallon mix a fifth of the concentrate. I love this stuff and remember reading somewhere that the cloudy test isn't accurate because that has more to do with the minerals in your water or something than it going "bad". Don't quote me on that though. I usually use it for a few weeks to a month before eventually dumping it.

Yooper, how much do you use per gallon? And do you need to wear rubber gloves and a mask? I bought some of this today and read the warnings...sounds like it will kill the whole neighborhood and melt through to China from the way that's written! How do you take precautions?

Right as the other said. I even get it on my hands, as I remove the racking cane and things from the bucket. But I'm very cautious with the undiluted stuff in the bottle.

I use 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallon.

Then I just shake it up in the mixing jug, fill a spray bottle and use the stuff in the jug by pouring it into and onto whatever I'm sanitizing.

Which equals 1.5 tsp, yes? I'm having a time reading the calibration on the little squeeze-to-measure part of the bottle but I don't think it's done in such small quantities. A plastic measuring spoon set will be ok to measure the stuff out of the bottle, or no?

It's the concentration from the bottle I'm concerned about.

I will just go out on a limb and say that concentrated Starsan is NOT dangerous in the least bit. Almost all other household chemicals are more dangerous. Can it irritate your skin? Yes. Would it harm you if you took a swig? Probably. It is not a solvent. It does not contain heavy metals or harmful organic hydrocarbons. I see a lot of paranoia on HBT about it. It is a product DESIGNED for HOME use in BEVERAGE production. Ever hear that the most lethal chemical in history is WATER?

Star-San is a strong acid; that's how it sanitizes. Diluted, it can be handled (though for my sensitive skin, rubber gloves are an easy preventative from problems). But full-strength? If you decide to test your theory let us know how that comes out...

Star-San is a strong acid; that's how it sanitizes. Diluted, it can be handled (though for my sensitive skin, rubber gloves are an easy preventative from problems). But full-strength? If you decide to test your theory let us know how that comes out...

I have lots of chemicals in my home sold for HOME use. Like, drano. Straight lye. Ammonia. All kinds of stuff.

I agree with Springmom, that while chemicals often are 'dumbed down' (my words, not hers) due to our society, it's not wise to handle them full strength.

Probably your skin won't be off. But that doesn't mean it's healthy. I make soap, so I deal with lye. It's a strong alkali. That means be smart when you use it.

Same with star-san. Be prudent, and you'll be fine.

bigdaddybrew said:
Most say it is good as long as it is clear. I change mine every other batch but I'm a little sanitiation paranoid.

I've heard this several times but I've noticed the solution always gets cloudy as soon as you add the starsan to the water (1oz. to 5 gals as directed). How are people getting a clear solution??

kirkosaurus said:
I've heard this several times but I've noticed the solution always gets cloudy as soon as you add the starsan to the water (1oz. to 5 gals as directed). How are people getting a clear solution??

You probably have hard water, then. At least I think that's what does it. If you mix it with distilled or RO water it will stay clear for weeks/months.

Yes, the best ratio to use is 1oz for 5 gal. Or 1/5 oz in a gallon jug. The best water to use with Star San is distilled water. It can be good for months when used/dilluted with a water that has nothing in it(such as distilled). It can definitly irritate your skin (diluted or not), and I would never reccomend ingesting it in full strength form!

I agree with inhousebrew that the cloudy result does not mean the StarSan is bad. I have well water and it turns cloudy immediately. I do however, buy distilled water in gallon jugs and mix it and store it in them. It lasts longer this way.

You probably have hard water, then. At least I think that's what does it. If you mix it with distilled or RO water it will stay clear for weeks/months.

Yep. I had to turn off our water softener a week ago, and brewed last night. I poured out my still-clear bucket of Starsan solution, and made a new batch. I decided since it had been a little more than a month since I bottled my last batch I should just do it again.

When making up my new batch, I instantly noticed it was cloudy, and was that way almost immediately. I didn't know what to do, but figure I'd trust the math with the Starsan and call it good. So, hard water definately makes for cloudy Starsan solution.

I know from this experience that I will certainly be calling the guy to fix the water softner before I brew or bottle next. That cloudy Starsan solution freaks me out!

Back