craigslist score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
IMG00012-20100330-1910.jpg

A dozen of them....6.5 gallons.. THREE BUCKS EACH!!! I kept 6 sold 6 to the brew shop guy who always helps me out. Gave him the same deal I got. guy I got em rom said he gets em quite often. Not 100% sure what was in em but they are glass and even have the screw on caps.. EXACT same ones at the brew shop are 40 bucks each!!! Oh yeah they came with styrofoam formed "cases".

Clean them well that packaging looks exactly the way that my company receives hazardous and nasty chemicals. Good score though.

Clean them well that packaging looks exactly the way that my company receives hazardous and nasty chemicals. Good score though.

I think that is what they are.. However if I do clean them super well and use oxiclean and rinse them over and over, they should be ok right?

I think that is what they are.. However if I do clean them super well and use oxiclean and rinse them over and over, they should be ok right?

No, they are junk. Send them to me and I will take care of them.....LOL

Yeah better scrap them I have a large recycle bin in my yard if you need help. Seriously I would do a little extra cleaning soaking just in case, but I am jealous as my company only buys in quart to 2 quart sizes. LUCKY!

Yeah better scrap them I have a large recycle bin in my yard if you need help. Seriously I would do a little extra cleaning soaking just in case, but I am jealous as my company only buys in quart to 2 quart sizes. LUCKY!

GUNNER... The guy I got em from said he gets em fairly regularly....it is only 2.5 hours or so from lexington. If you took several it would definitely be worth your drive.

Strong acids are often shipped in those carboys. I order a couple of them every few months for work. Rinse them really well with a baking soda solution and you should be just fine. Haven't seen anything other than acid shipped in that size of a glass container, all the nasty solvents/flammables are shipped in metal drums.

Strong acids are often shipped in those carboys. I order a couple of them every few months for work. Rinse them really well with a baking soda solution and you should be just fine. Haven't seen anything other than acid shipped in that size of a glass container, all the nasty solvents/flammables are shipped in metal drums.
thanks...good to know...

Very nice CL Steve, I broke my first one this week end and the there were 2 :(
I Think this makes 15 glass carboys of either 5 or 6.5 gallons.....also have 10 one gallon ones... I jumped in with both feet.

I have a question. What did you search CL for when those showed up? Carboy? Home Brewing Supplies?

Hey Ohio Steve very nice find. I live in Pickerington. I need 1 or 2 carboys if you ever run across anymore.
Let me know.

Nick

Will do.....The styrofoam had to go. It was impossible to tell if they were clean or not with it on plus I was concerned about what might be on it.... and me and buddy could NOT pull em out so I had to cut it all off of them...... I set them outside full of oxiclean over night and scrubbed em with a carboy brush today. They had a residue in them that would NOT come off. I scrubbed until my arm was sore( to be 100% honest I think it was from my water) Anyway I remembered my wife had a product called " THE WORKS" that is an acid based hard water stain remover.. I squirted a small amout in the first one and as it ran down the sides all of the residue ran with it. I put just enough to cover the bottom then rolled it around the sides and the mouth of the carboys. I rinsed em..rinsed em again...rinsed em again and put the caps ( cleaned of course) and they are spotlessly clean now. I hope I can get a few more to bulk age stuff in.

Has anyone confirmed what exactly was in the carboys? Im just concerned that there was a chemical inside that will leach into your beer and make you sick. Not trying to be a party pooper or anything, I would just hate to see that happen.

Has anyone confirmed what exactly was in the carboys? Im just concerned that there was a chemical inside that will leach into your beer and make you sick. Not trying to be a party pooper or anything, I would just hate to see that happen.

nope, but being glass, how could it leach anything as long as I clean them thoroughly?

nope, but being glass, how could it leach anything as long as I clean them thoroughly?

You know, im not really sure. I havent found anything that says it could happen, so I guess its not an issue? I dont know enough about chemicals to know if some have the ability to leach into glass some how. Maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in.

Glass is pretty non-reactive(hence why its used to ship acids and other highly reactive chemicals) so if you did all that cleaning and cant detect any smells I'd say they are safe to use.

Of course, I don't think you'll find a chemical company selling these second hand as I am pretty sure its against regulations to reuse the containers for any purpose.

as someone who works with acids regularly, smell is not a good indicator, as many acids are non-volatile.

Cleaning with baking soda is a good idea because baking soda is basic and will neutralize the acid while you clean. If it were me, I'd clean it with saturated baking soda a few times (this will require several boxes of baking soda), then rinse it with soap and water a few times, and then just water a few times.

If you want to be really sure all of the residual acid is out of there, take a pH reading of your water from the tap, and the water after filling the carboy. Any dissolved acid will noticeably lower the pH since water is not buffered. Similarly, residual baking soda will raise the pH.

Acids in that large of a container are probably either hydrochloric, phosphoric, or acetic. The first two are very caustic, but harmless once neutralized, as they become just salt and phosphate, respectively. The last is basically very very concentrated vinegar, and will add a noticeable taste, though it will also smell like vinegar before you can taste it.

The fact Im in ohio sent me there immediately.
2.5 hours from lexington hopefully equals cincinnati

well lets hope that they are OK as I just put a batch of blueberry wine in one. Also I think they are bigger than 6.5 gallons. do they make a 7.5?

what do you search for on craigslist? beer making equipmet? I search every few days and don't seem to find anything good.

Every time I search CARBOY, I get car stuff. When I search homebrew I get Nintendo WII stuff. I usually search for beer, homebrew, wine, fermenter, carboy, jug, etc.

well lets hope that they are OK as I just put a batch of blueberry wine in one. Also I think they are bigger than 6.5 gallons. do they make a 7.5?

Yeh, measure the liquid going in one time, they hold about a gallon or so more than they're rated for, it leaves headspace for when the yeast is working.

I guess the dark shadowy figure came with them free of charge... you may have gotten more than you bargained for.

Your carboys are haunted by a dark spirit. You will have to brew your first batches with Holy Water.

Back