Weak carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turdhammer

Reaction score
Did a dry irish stout kit from NB. Followed directions about priming and have waited two weeks before a 48 hour chill. There isn't much carbination. There is enough carbination that it doesn't taste flat but there is almost no head. There is yeast in the bottom of the bottle when pouring.
I've let it condition in my kitchen upstairs but my house is only about 68 degrees.
Could the lower temperature be the reason for the lack of carbination?

Will waiting some more time help with this? Well I guess that it's going to wait regardless just wondering if this is normal or has anyone else experienced this.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

There really is no other answer than patience, because there really isn't a problem. It really is a simply and fool proof process. The problem arises that we try to govern the behavior based on our timeframe, and not the yeast's. They don't read calendars or instruction sheets, they just do their own thing in however long it takes them.

I've been doing this for years, and bottled nearly a thousand gallons of beer, and have never had one that didn't carb eventually. And I don't do anything special to them at bottling day, that isn't explained in my bottling sticky. You just gotta wait.

That's what I was hoping. With both of us, wife and self, gone most of the day and liking a cool house at night to sleep in temperatures in the house run cool most of the time this time of year.

Thanks for the quick responses, you two. I was just going by what the instruction sheet said and was perplexed.

Yes,def needs more warm conditioning time. Our master bedroom is the warmest room in the house,so my boxes of bottled beers rest there for warm carb/conditioning phase of 3-4 weeks on average. And at least one week fridge time to get co2 into solution,settle chill haze,etc. Two weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation in the glass. Stouts generally don't have a lot of head to start with. But this way should help that a little.

Thanks for the info. I just hope that I can refrain from drinnking too many before thay have a chance to fully develop.
To be honest with you, they taste pretty dang good fellas just the way they are. Better than the majority of beers that are for sale locally.
For my first atempt I'm pretty pleased.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

There really is no other answer than patience, because there really isn't a problem. It really is a simply and fool proof process. The problem arises that we try to govern the behavior based on our timeframe, and not the yeast's. They don't read calendars or instruction sheets, they just do their own thing in however long it takes them.

I've been doing this for years, and bottled nearly a thousand gallons of beer, and have never had one that didn't carb eventually. And I don't do anything special to them at bottling day, that isn't explained in my bottling sticky. You just gotta wait.

I tested one bottle today. One week in bottle and almost 2 days in the fridge. My beer did nothing like the first beer tested in that video. The beer after 5 days in the bottle over flowed? Why didn't mine do this after a week in the bottle? Also in the video it wasn't mentioned how long the beers were in the fridge before opening.

I was talking to a fellow home brewer and he waits about 2 weeks then puts the beer in the freezer for a few hours before drinking. Would you recommend the freezer? Will you get the same results as if you left the beer in the fridge for a couple days?

My last beer tasted great at 3 weeks in bottle but was still not ready. I have just put a few in the fridge after 4 weeks and will probably not drink one till this weekend, that will give them 4-5 days n the fridge. Patience is the hardest thing to learn in homebrewing, but its one of the most important. :drunk:

At least a week fridge time will improve carbonation,head & Clarity. 2 weeks gives thicker head,& longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Back