Woodchuck belgin white

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiScusi

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to clone the woodchuck private reserve belgin white. I tried it today and fell in love. Any suggestions?

Has anyone tried to clone the woodchuck private reserve belgin white. I tried it today and fell in love. Any suggestions?

really good, i though the main difference was using Belgian ale yeast

IMG_20120520_193011.jpg

I haven't had it before but it looks good. All types of woodchuck I have had in the past are crystal clear. I would venture a guess that due to the cloudiness this one is more like a wheat Graff type cider.
This would be my first attempt at a trial recipe.
4 gallons cider
1 gallon water
2 pounds wheat lme
belgain ale yeast

Well I doubt it is a graff because it is still gluten free. I'm probably completely off but, my guess would be it is their cider with a Belgian ale yeast. They probably just didn't filter it as much as they usually do.

I've tried it and loved it as well. I'd love a clone recipe as well as a Crispin clone recipe.

I've never had this particular woodchuck but some quick googling suggests it's made with Belgian yeast, coriander, and possibly some sort of orange addition which could be peel, extract, concentrate, citric acid, or maybe even orange juice (I would think this the least likely though) or maybe the citrus is a result of the yeast entirely.

CRock is probably correct that it's less filtered, and that it is gluten free so no wheat or common analog.

Going to try this next week. Will be using some belgian ale yeast, orange zest and coriander. I'll report back on the success

I spoke with some guys from Woodchuck recently and they said it is a Belgium yeast, orange peel and coriander.
Interestingly enough, the farmhouse select also uses the/a Belgium yeast.
I agree, its an excelent cider.

Is this out now? I wouldn't mind buying a 6 pack if it is, but I have to go to another state to buy it since they only sell cases here in PA (where I live that is).

I haven't seen it, but the girlfriend remembered it so asked me to make this my next test batch attempt. Not really sure what season its meant to be out in or if it was just a limited run thing.

Last time I had it was months ago. It was good though.

Thinking about giving this a try with Belgian yeast, orange peel, and coriander. Any ideas on the amounts? Maybe someone who has made Belgian style beers (gasp!) can weigh in. Also, do I use fresh peels or dried and do I need to boil the orange peels or coriander?

I found the bottle in my collection. Here are pics in case anyone wants to see it.

ForumRunner_20121204_182733.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_182756.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_182815.jpg

I found the bottle in my collection. Here are pics in case anyone wants to see it.

It goes with shrimp (or is that a crawdad?) and cheese? It has to be good!

I'm doing a Graff version of this with wheat and belgian aromatic steeping grains, wheat extract and light hops; Belgian abbey wyeast. I'd be happy to post amounts, etc. if anyone's interested-- but it definitely ain't gluten free.

Just tasted it out of the carboy and it is definitely distinct... Planning on adding orange and coriander in secondary.

I did a one gal version of this, details in my cider experiments thread (link in signature)

I would up the orange and coriander from what I used though. The flavour is great but I wanted a bit more of the two ingredients to come through. Maybe even go so far as to double them.

I did a one gal version of this, details in my cider experiments thread (link in signature)

I would up the orange and coriander from what I used though. The flavour is great but I wanted a bit more of the two ingredients to come through. Maybe even go so far as to double them.

I'll keep that in mind for my batch, Safa. I was actually considering adding it when bottling with the priming sugar as I've noticed certain flavors come out better then. The process of doing it is the question.

I've dehydrated and powderized some orange peel and I think I could do the same with the coriander. I wonder if I melted the two powders into the sugar if it would dissolve enough to flavor evenly throughout the whole batch...

Can you post the link as I cannot see your signature on my mobile app? Thanks.

I'll be brewing a 3 gallon version of this tomorrow. Only I will be adding 1lb of brown sugar and after 2 weeks dry hopping with .35oz of cascade and .35oz of centennial for a week.

Unferth: That sounds great! I hope it works out because it sounds like it could be a smash hit.

CC: That also sounds good! I've never had a cider that has been hopped at all, I would be very interested to try some one day

I tried a dry hopped Woodchuck a couple months ago on tap at Whole Foods. I'm not a big hops fan, but it wasn't bad. After I bottle one or two of the batches I have going, I might try to like this Belgian style cider and then maybe eventually a Graff.

So, I just brewed a 5-gal batch today. Boiled a gallon of apple cider with 6 lbs pilsen malt syrup (I didn't have LME - figured that would do) exact process is as follows:

Boiled 45 min:
1 Gal apple juice
Peel from 1 orange
Zest from 1 orange
2 TBS whole coriander seed
6lbs Pilsen malt syrup

Strained the liquid, added another 3.5 gallons of apple cider to the carboy.

Pitched with Trappist Ale yeast (again, what I had on hand)

My industrious child has broken 4 hydrometers, and I haven't picked one up in the last week, so I didn't do a gravity reading - I figure this to be around 1.065 or so.

We shall see - I know this is a loose interpretation of the recipe - but for those who are interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back