Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if I dont partake in a certain hobby I always love to go into a shop that caters to one thing. Seeing a million different kinds of tea, or cigars, or beef jerky, or whatever... really appeals to the kid in me.

CreamyGoodness said:
Even if I dont partake in a certain hobby I always love to go into a shop that caters to one thing. Seeing a million different kinds of tea, or cigars, or beef jerky, or whatever... really appeals to the kid in me.

Never thought about it that way but you're totally right. The amount of care, love, energy etc that goes into people's hobbies is amazing and the only thing more amazing is that no matter how obscure or specific someone's obsession is there is always someone else who is just as into it.

So the gurgle? Moisture cooking out of the tobacco condensing in the stem? Is that what's going on?

worksnorth said:
So the gurgle? Moisture cooking out of the tobacco condensing in the stem? Is that what's going on?

It's saliva goin into pipe. Btw I just got a brand new zippo blue and can't use it for pipe but would work great for cigar / cig. Anyone willing to trade?

That is a beautiful setup!

Thanks aygov! I'm waiting for another faucet and some 3/8" 16TPI brass inserts to come in. I'm going to take motorcycle handgrips I bought years ago but never used and mount them as tap handles. The HD logo on the freezer will bring the whole thing together. Amazing what a little paint can do to an old white refrigerator.

Haven't posted in here before, but I enjoy an occasional pipe smoke. My dad smoked a pipe always when I was young.

I smoke a Dr. Grabow De Luxe 9845. It is a very nice smoking pipe circa late 1930's.

DSCF1221_1_-249x81.jpg

DSCF1222_2_-250x58.jpg

linkmanlogo.jpg

DSCF1192_1_-250x60.jpg

I am a lucky bastid in that I still purchase from the same quality shop my old man did when i was a tiny tot. I have great memories going to Uhle's as a kid with my dad. http://www.uhles.com/

:edit: apparently they ship! You guys should have a try of their stuff, it is very good.

Nice pipe stuff and your shop looks like a nice step back in time. Love all the rich dark wood, briars on the wall, jars of bulk tobacco! We have nothing like that around here. I think one of the malls in the next town over has a John Ts (or at least they used to) but that hardly compares to your shop! :mug:

Oh man, I don't know how I've overlooked this for so long. Great thread, Dan! Prost! :mug:

I recently bought a cheap pipe from the tobacco shop that I buy my cigars at. My dad smoked a pipe when I was really young, and I gave it a try about 13 years ago, but never stuck with it. But recently I'd been buying cheap pipe tobacco cigars as my daily smokers, so I figured I'd give it another try.

It really is a lost art, as in there's actually a technique to it. This time around, I'm really enjoying it. I've mainly been smoking cheap stuff, Captain Black Royal. I like the black cavendish/golden blend, really nice smoke. When I finish this latest pouch of Royal, I'm going to try some different brands and blends. I'm guessing just like my stogies, variety is the spice when it comes to pipe tobacco. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Happy smokin'!! :mug:

Thanks NB I'm glad you like the thread! I started it back in march and it just sort of smoldered for awhile. The cool weather seems to have resurrected it.. ha ha.

I've smoked a number of different tobaccos over the years but the only one that I remembered well was MacBarens Virginia #1. PipesandCigars screwed up my order in a good way, sent me 8 oz of it bulk instead of the 3.5oz tin I ordered. I was a bit peeved but it really worked in my favor. If you'd like to give it a shot PM me your name and address and I'll share a few ounces with you!

Here's a short discription from tobaccoreview.com and it is pretty accurate
A ready rubbed tobacco, manufactured from a selection of choice, ripe Virginia tobaccos, which gives Virginia No.1 a mild, sweet smoke.

Cheers!
Dan

Moisture from the tobacco infused with tar, and saliva from the stem.

Here's a short discription from tobaccoreview.com and it is pretty accurate

Cheers!
Dan

Ha. Yeah. so, that wonderfully aromatic smoke I was on about not too long ago. I dedicated myself to finding it in the only best way I know how. Each night I load a bowl with a different tobacco and set that tobacco aside. A process of elimination. If the next morning the intensity of the aroma I seek has improved then I know I have found that blend.

Started with the more exotic blends. Blue Note, nope. DaVinci, Nope. Oriental no. 1, etc...

Which blend was it?

None of them. No blend of Latakia, Cavendish, or Perique.

It was all Virginia. Macbarens Virginia No.1 to be precise.

Ironic.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Moisture from the tobacco infused with tar, and saliva from the stem.

Ha. Yeah. so, that wonderfully aromatic smoke I was on about not too long ago. I dedicated myself to finding it in the only best way I know how. Each night I load a bowl with a different tobacco and set that tobacco aside. A process of elimination. If the next morning the intensity of the aroma I seek has improved then I know I have found that blend.

Started with the more exotic blends. Blue Note, nope. DaVinci, Nope. Oriental no. 1, etc...

Which blend was it?

None of them. No blend of Latakia, Cavendish, or Perique.

It was all Virginia. Macbarens Virginia No.1 to be precise.

Ironic.

I'll have to try some of that Virginia next time I stop in at my tobacconist.

I used to preach at a little country church about an hour and a half from where I lived in Missouri. When I got home on Sunday nights it was usually 9pm or later. Every Sunday night I would walk in the door, change, grab my pipe and a nice beer. Then I would sit on the recliner on our 3rd floor balcony and relax. That was such a great season of life. I often have a desire to sit on my porch with a homebrew and a pipe while watching the ships on the Columbia River. Man, I wish I hadn't seen this thread!!!

Can't post a link from my phone but pipesandcigars.com has cigars called "Hopz" seasoned with Centennial.

Somebody watching this thread PM'd me and we did a tobacco swap. I sent some Va #1 and he sent me some Frog Morton On The Bayou, and Blue Mountain. The tobacco arrived yesterday and my mailbox smelled like a campfire. Nice! :mug: I smoked a bowl of the FM OTB lastnight. It was smooth and nice, burned evenly.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by the local gas station (note to self - don't buy any type of craft beer there again) IT was Fat Tire, I'm not sure that is considered a true craft beer or not but figured it might be a lot better than a BMC and the only homebrew I have is 15gallons fermenting. The beer was a bit sour for an amber. After reading the bottle closely noted the best before date was 2 days ago.

Anyway, I'm not doing a beer review here. After dinner tonight I went back out to my tiny peice of paradise also known as the garage man cave and packed a bowl of the Blue Mountain. I probably wouldn't smoke it every night, then again I don't smoke everyday.

Decadant, I think is the correct word, heady, creamy smoky smoke! I hate to compare pipe tobacco to cigars but this and my favorite cigar (Bolivar Confradia, use to simply be called Bolivar Fuerte and cost less then too) have one thing in common. Pure tranquility. It even made the beer taste better.

Not sure I'll be buying a tin right away. There are a few more tobaccos I want to rediscover from years ago.

(we need a pipe smoking icon)

Dan,
A few weeks ago I called it! Posted in this thread that you'll start to see tobacco swaps. Glad it came to fruition. There are so many different kinds I can't even imagine the difference in variety the East Coast would have compared to Colorado.

Yep, good call Dallas. This is my first swap but more in the works. Hope people are trading. Only cost a postage stamp or two to send a bit of tobacco.

Dan said:
Yep, good call Dallas. This is my first swap but more in the works. Hope people are trading. Only cost a postage stamp or two to send a bit of tobacco.

Do you just put it in a ziplock and a manila style shipping envelope?

Somebody watching this thread PM'd me and we did a tobacco swap. I sent some Va #1 and he sent me some Frog Morton On The Bayou, and Blue Mountain. The tobacco arrived yesterday and my mailbox smelled like a campfire. Nice! :mug: I smoked a bowl of the FM OTB lastnight. It was smooth and nice, burned evenly.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by the local gas station (note to self - don't buy any type of craft beer there again) IT was Fat Tire, I'm not sure that is considered a true craft beer or not but figured it might be a lot better than a BMC and the only homebrew I have is 15gallons fermenting. The beer was a bit sour for an amber. After reading the bottle closely noted the best before date was 2 days ago.

Anyway, I'm not doing a beer review here. After dinner tonight I went back out to my tiny peice of paradise also known as the garage man cave and packed a bowl of the Blue Mountain. I probably wouldn't smoke it every night, then again I don't smoke everyday.

Decadant, I think is the correct word, heady, creamy smoky smoke! I hate to compare pipe tobacco to cigars but this and my favorite cigar (Bolivar Confradia, use to simply be called Bolivar Fuerte and cost less then too) have one thing in common. Pure tranquility. It even made the beer taste better.

Not sure I'll be buying a tin right away. There are a few more tobaccos I want to rediscover from years ago.

(we need a pipe smoking icon)

Nice!!! Not a big Fat Tire fan, I can't imagine one not in it's prime.
I've been reading about different pipe tobaccos and blends. I think it's really like a cigar, there's one for every occasion. 'Pure tranquillity' describes that place you hit when you're relaxing with a good smoke and a good beer.
I'm looking forward to trying the Virginia #1. I have a couple home brews packed up and ready to ship to you tomorrow, Dan, hopefully you'll find that they go well with a good smoke. :mug:

Thanks NB,

Couldn't agree more about a good beer and good smoke!

I'm slacking on getting the tobacco out but will get an envelope addressed today and it will go out in the evening pickup or Thursday morning at the latest.

Wish I'd bought tobacco in greater than 1 oz size. I'll probably be getting some more Boswell tobacco soon. I'll order extra for some trades.

Thanks NB,

Couldn't agree more about a good beer and good smoke!

I'm slacking on getting the tobacco out but will get an envelope addressed today and it will go out in the evening pickup or Thursday morning at the latest.

No worries, whenever you get a chance. Now I don't feel as bad for running out of bubble wrap the other day. :mug:

NB your tobacco is on the way. Didn't get it out till yesterday... dang work. You should have it around Monday or Tuesday.

:pipe:

I picked up a tin of MacBaren Mixture Scottish Blend. It's the first tin and the only I've had that didn't come from the drug store. I like it. Less problems with it than I had with the cheap stuff too.

I spent many hours in the garage today "putting around". Was a great chance to smoke my favorite pipe. Nice day overall.

I did the same last Thursday, got a chance to pull out the Barling pack it with Kirsten's whiskey blend and see what I need to do next on my garage dry walling...a fine way to spend time thinking through a project.

Dan, I just want to thank you for the tobacco. That is one nice, mellow smoke. I'm working on my second bowl of the evening (the Bears are pitching a shutout!!!), and I rarely finish a bowl when I smoke. You guys are right, there's this aroma to the tobacco that even the unlit bowl gives off that keeps me coming back.

Thank you very much, my friend. I've been slacking. Your beers are sitting, wrapped in bubble, on my kitchen table waiting for me to not forget them. I'll hit the PO on my way in tomorrow morning. :mug:

First English burning right now. Boswell's Northwoods blend. Really nice, enjoying it quite a bit. :pipe:

Those are usually the smokes I like best. Full bodied black and Burley's, they're always satisfying.

No worries Dan. I'm glad you like the tobacco. There was a reason it stuck out in my mind after 10 years!

Cheers!

Bad news... Shank on my churchwarden is cracked and growing. Going to have to give that pipe a rest until I can take it into the city for repair. Feels weird to pay at least 20 bucks if not more to repair a 60 dollar pipe though. It's the one I was planning on dedicating to English blends too so now have to take a hiatus.

Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends? I want to but I also don't have enough pipes to do so and don't feel like dropping the cash to load up on more.

Bad news... Shank on my churchwarden is cracked and growing. Going to have to give that pipe a rest until I can take it into the city for repair. Feels weird to pay at least 20 bucks if not more to repair a 60 dollar pipe though. It's the one I was planning on dedicating to English blends too so now have to take a hiatus.

Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends? I want to but I also don't have enough pipes to do so and don't feel like dropping the cash to load up on more.

I've considered dedicating pipes to blends but, I've never gotten the "ghosting" that some talk about. Not even with the heavily cased blends.

Ordered:

The Persian Slipper - Sherlock Holmes sampler.
Froggy Went a Courtin - Frog Morton sampler
GL Pease - JackKnife Ready
GL Pease - Chelsea Morning
GL Pease - Westminster
Captain Black Sample pack.

:eek:

I can tell when I switch over...I generally smoke the Kirsten's mariner blend, but when I grab something else it takes a few bowls of the mariner to get the flavor back in full.

Back