My first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
here is my first batch. Will hopefully become an Irish Red Ale....we shall see. For those who have brewed this type of beer before, does it look right?

398115_10150457921950146_507230145_9200856_261678804_n.jpg

I am quite nervous about it. This addiction will definitely teach me patience. feel like starting another batch. Im one of those perfectionist type of people.

And on top of that....my house smells like the Anheuser Busch plant when we toured it. AND, the wife doesnt mind. Cant get much better than that.

I am quite nervous about it. This addiction will definitely teach me patience. feel like starting another batch. Im one of those perfectionist type of people.

i hear ya there!! since you'll end up doing it eventually, why not get another bucket so you can get a second batch going? that way you can start filling your 'pipeline' AND you'll have something to occupy the mind while the first batch ferments. :mug:

I had a grocery list going while I was brewing and was enjoying it so much...I put another carboy at the bottom of the list. I will be picking that up today...lol

My first batch is conditioning (and it's so harsh, I'm going to be letting it do that for a while). I've started two other brews since.
Once you get started and really see the joy and science (and sometimes pseudo-science) of beer, it's quite addictive.

Not to mention, here in Texas a 6 pack of good beer is usually about $8. A 5 gallon batch would be about 9.5 six packs. So if the ingredients to make the beer are around $30 and you just keep a moderately steady stream of brews going... Instead of paying $76 for 9.5 six packs, you pay $30, usually gain some experience and knowledge, and have something to be proud of... also beer.

I had a grocery list going while I was brewing and was enjoying it so much...I put another carboy at the bottom of the list. I will be picking that up today...lol

What?? Only 1?? :D

I'm not addicted to home brewing. Nope, not me. I only have 2 batches in the fermenter and another on my wish list and another I'm thinking about brewing and perhaps 300 full bottles. Not addicted at all. :cross:

What?? Only 1?? :D

I'm not addicted to home brewing. Nope, not me. I only have 2 batches in the fermenter and another on my wish list and another I'm thinking about brewing and perhaps 300 full bottles. Not addicted at all. :cross:

spoken like a true brewer! :mug: i'm not addicted either, i can stop whenever i want. i'm only brewing two batches in the next two days, and i'm only packaging two, so i totally have a handle on it! :ban::ban:

Congrats. I'm sparging my first AG batch right now after 9 months of doing Mr Beer. Got a batch of Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest Supplies going. I hope it turns out. Next up, a Red Lager.

Back