Brewing today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a 6.5 gallon batch today. It's a sort of imitation of Denny Conn's Waldo Lake Amber.

I wanted a lower ABV, but a great malt flavor, rich caramel taste, red color and lots of hops. This is to fill two 3 gallon kegs for our pilgrimage to Texas in three weeks.

7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 54.4 %
4 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 28.1 %
2 lbs Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 14.0 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.5 %
0.75 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 24.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 11.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [9.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450PC) [50.00 ml] Yeast 11 -

What do you think?

I think it looks good, I had a simular grainbill last week...And almost exact hop additions. Mines been in the carboy for just over a week, good luck...Happy Brew day

It must be a good day for brewing. I took my wife to work early this morning and came back to start a brew. I've just pulled the bag of mash out of the kettle to drain and sparge (modified BIAB). I'll have to have everything completed by 3 this afternoon so I can go pick my wife up again.

I had made a Pale Ale using Citra hops for flavor and dry hopping and I like it very well but I thought I might like a little more grapefruit aroma so I'm doing it again and will dry hop with Cascade this time.

8 pounds Breiss Pale Malt
1 pound Breiss Munich 10L
1 pound Breiss Caramel 20L
.6 oz Citra (13.3%) for 60
.4 0z Citra (13.3%) for 10
1 oz Cascade (6.4%) Dry hop
Safale US05 yeast

Oh, and that recipe looks awesome!

What does the Melanoiden malt do again?

It's a malty malt, if that makes sense. Like aromatic malt, giving a malty flavor and aroma.

I "lost" my brewboy about half way through. He did empty the mashtun and do all the lifting, but he's glad I'm feeling better! He really doesn't think much of the "details" of brewing, I'll just say.

I feel a bit sad, because I realized that I'm not brewing again until late March/early April. I love our wintertime excursions, but I sure miss brewing while we're gone! I'm going to try to crash a few brewdays at other people's homes in south Texas, if I can find someone brewing.

Anyway, it's already gently fermenting at 62 degrees and it's a nice clear red color so I'm hopeful that it'll be a good one!

How long will you be gone? I'm sure there are more than a few Texas brewers who would love to have you stop by and hang out for a few hours.

If they wouldn't, then they're dumb.

Geez, I'll move to Texas if it means Yoop would drop by and brew with me. :D

How long will you be gone? I'm sure there are more than a few Texas brewers who would love to have you stop by and hang out for a few hours.

If they wouldn't, then they're dumb.

We'll be home before the end of March. I've been in touch with a guy in Corpus Christi, and one a bit north of us, so we'll see if they brew while I'm around.

Back