sirachi IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a sirachi ipa and was going to add the a little bit of the sauce to secondary ferm. Had a jalapeno ipa not to long ago that was great, not overbearing and didn't blow out your pallet. What I was wondering is if some of the ingredients in sirachi would mess the fermentation process or sour the beer.

I am a hot pepper loving mother futcher but peppers in beer don't float my boat. I have about 10 different varieties growing, mostly wild Chiltepin and Pequin types.

You could always add some to a base to see how it tastes before committing to a whole batch.

Keep in mind how much garlic is in sriracha as well. Im not a fan of capsaicin or garlic in anything I drink. I've heard of some spicy beers, but I think the garlic could absolutely ruin it. On the other hand, I admire your creativity and wish you luck.

I pretty much drink the stuff anyway so why not try it in a beer. Keep us updated if you try it...

I have pored some ipa I'm a mug and added two drops of sirachi to it and it tasted great. You get a little heat and flavour bit wasn't over bearing. Def gonna do it but would like to try a smaller batch.

if youre looking for that kick but are worried about sirachi, ive thrown an opened up habenero into my secondary for some heat. I used two and that was pretty hot, id probably use 1 or 1.5 next time. keep us posted on your experiment though!

Could we all agree that the correct name of the sauce is "Sriracha" though... unless for some reason I am mistaken and there is some weird ingredient known as "Sirachi".

Sorry, for some reason its just driving me nuts :cross:

sriracha-label-498x498.png

Yeah I have had a couple dif jalapeno ipa's that were good. I'm going for some heat but also for the flavor of the sirrachi that's why I don't just want to use a pepper.

Endlesswinter sorry I didn't have a bottle in front of me. Lol. Why argue semantic's just looking for input on the idea

FWIW, this is a made-in-the-USA, CA derived sauce. It is not a true, traditional asian sauce. It think it was created by an asian transplant to CA, but just putting it out there.

Either way, I love heat. I made a habenero/ancho porter that was pretty good. It took second in a local competition in it's category.

IMHO the secret is smoothing the flavor distinction between the heat and the barley/hops. Anchos do this with dark grains because they add a little smoke and a little heat. You can try to figure out what to do with a red pepper sauce, but you are probably better off going back to actual peppers. It's easier to control the flavor with fewer ingredients (like garlic, as above) affecting the taste.

Yeah I know it will be tricky to balance the flavor with those other ingredients that are in the sauce but I want to try something diffrent from what everyone else is doing and I really enjoy the flavor of the sauce and want some of that to.come through not just the heat

Ayoungrad...when you did the anchos in the porter did you add them at the end of the boil or do a dry hop thing with them? I made a habenero/pepper beer where i did both, serano peppers for 15 mins and habs in the secondary. The beer had an over poweing pepper taste, like drinking a bell pepper. What was your method?

I dry hopped both the habaneros and the anchos. I just chopped them and put everything, including the seeds, in a hop bag. Then I tested it every day or two until I had the heat level and flavor I was looking for. My Puerto Rican mother-in-law loved it.

I just remembered something. Have you ever had a michelada? I had some in Mexico and have since had them here. It's basically beer, lime juice and spices. The spices I had were mainly hot sauces, probably because its easier to make. And I had one in MA that had sriracha in it at an asian restaurant. It was really good. I think micheladas are most often made with lagers. The ones I had in Mexico were made with Pacifico.

Also, I just double-checked my sriracha comment above. According to wiki, it IS a traditional thai sauce. Not sure where I heard otherwise. Oh well. Bottom line is I always have at least sriracha, cholula, tabasco and el yucateco on hand. And usually several others.

Back