Corny Keg Shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaydaw

Reaction score
So I went into my LHBS yesterday to buy another corny. He kind of grimaced when I asked him for one and he take me around back to show me about 20 cornies left. He said once they run out they won't be able to order anymore used ones. They will have to order new ones and sell them at 125 bucks each! He said all the ones from Coke/Pepsi have been bought up and now new ones will have to be made. Has anyone else heard this? You might wanna stock up on cornies while they are still cheap!

The LHBS I visit has increased the price of their used corny kegs by $10... This wasn't that long ago either. I was already thinking I'd get either new ones, or used new style 5 gallon kegs when it's time (under $100 each)... Or I'll just go with my original plan and get 3 gallon new corny kegs and bottle the balance. :D

It does sound like what I've been hearing from other sources though... Keep in mind, the Pepsi style kegs haven't been made in many years. Once they're all bought up, you'll only see the occasional ones offered for sale.

Yeah since soda manufacturers no longer use these they are going to get more rare as time goes on. I would imagine we are going to start seeing a lot more new ones. Guess thats the price of Homebrewing

The place I used to buy them from raised the price $7 as well....I tried getting from a few other places and they were sold out. I was able to find them at Kegconnection, but it does seem like they are getting harder to find....(or more costly at a minimum)

I wonder if homebrewers will just start buying 1/6th barrel Sanke kegs once all the used kegs dry up.

I wonder if homebrewers will just start buying 1/6th barrel Sanke kegs once all the used kegs dry up.

Picked up 4 of them yesterday (intend to ferment/age in them)... I do plan on checking to see what it would take to use them for actual kegging too... Although I suspect it will be more involved than using regular ball lock kegs. Since I'll be getting the hardware to use ball lock kegs when I'm ready for kegging, I'd rather not have two sets of hardware.

You would use them for kegging just like a corny keg, there is just no hatch in the lid but if you are fermenting in them you must have already figured out a way to clean them. Only problem is that if you want to fill under pressure there is a one-way valve in the sankey taps. There are instructions online for how to defeat that.

The cornies do tend to get a little more rare and expensive over time but I think predictions that they will all be gone soon are a bit premature. That said, I have 30ish so not really my problem anymore.

Damn! Last summer I brewed for a wedding and bought 5 ball locks from a guy for a hundred bucks. I couldn't imagine paying $125 for a brand new one. I hope 9 cornies total is enough to hold me off.

They are getting bought up by the Chinese for the stainless steel. Heard that from the scrap metal guy.

I gave up on corny kegs when I got my kegerator and 1/6th barrel. I now have a 1/6 and a tall 1/4 both sanke. Serving is a snap, just toss on the coupler. The big PITA is the snap ring that holds the spear in, I will be switching those out for actual snap rings...maybe...I am getting pretty good at getting the spring like ones in+out now...lol.

Cleans + sanitize super easy with a carboy washer and I never need to replace any o-rings or gaskets or buy a "rebuild kit". I also have the advantage of, if I say screw making my own; I can still use my set up on commercial beer kegs...I will be using a 1/2 bbl as a fermentor on an upcoming batch. SANKE FTW!

Zamial, where did you get the tall 1/4 Sanke?? I'm trying to get some (empty)... Since I don't have a kegging system, yet, I could go with either type... Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with both kinds before it's all said and done... :rockin:

Zamial, where did you get the tall 1/4 Sanke?? I'm trying to get some (empty)... Since I don't have a kegging system, yet, I could go with either type... Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with both kinds before it's all said and done... :rockin:

Craig's list FTW. This is were I buy all my kegs...

or

Sabco

or

If you do not have ethics issues you can get just about any craft beer in the tall 1/4's. I would feel slightly less bad about using the kegs for an indefinite period of time as I am not actually destroying them in any way. I can always "Will" them back to the brewery. I am not trying to start an ethics debate on the subject either...

Hmmmm... I did get the 1/6 Sankes from a CL posting... Sent the person an email asking if he has any of the tall 1/4 kegs. If not, to let me know if he does get some...

I am thinking about going to a local brewery in the next few weeks... If I can't 'obtain' some of their empty kegs, then I'll see about getting some decent brew in them, invite enough people over, kick the keg(s) and then I'll simply use those. :ban: Just need to make sure they don't want them back after X weeks/months... :D Not going to damage them, since I plan to keep the spear as well... Just think it might be easier to use the tall 1/4 to ferment in... :rockin:

If they ask about them later, I could always just say that they're not empty yet... :D

You guys are gonna end up getting a late fee tacked on, along with the deposit. Just "using" the keg for a while is just like keeping a rental car, and expecting not to be charged. The brewery has to buy more kegs to sell their beer.

Latest posts

Back