IIPA Still Fermenting After 3.5 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
My IIPA is still fermenting after 3.5 wks. The problem is: It is dryhopped and the hops are not settling out yet, still very murky. Has any had this problem? What should I do about it, because I was hoping to keg it up in the next few days, but how can I with all that activity?

Um...neither or those things you mentioned, hops not falling, and beer being murky are signs that fermentation is or isn't happening.

What's the gravity now?

The airlock is still bubbling every 20 seconds. The co2 activity is keeping it stirred up. So, I should go ahead and keg?

I would let it go until the yeast is starting to drop (beer clearing on top). No signs of airlock activity for at least 45sec. Why hurry? If you're getting airlock activity then there is still some sugar being eaten by the yeast. Most people on here will tell you not to trust your airlock. I always trust my airlock. If it's bubbling then I know the yeast are still working. When the beer reaches equilbrium with the C02 in the headspace (assuming your airlock is properly on and no air is escaping) it will rarely bubble. This has been my experience.

I would agree that if you airlock slows down, don't trust it, you need a gravity reading. But CO2 is a byproduct of fermentation, and if it's bubbling every 20 seconds it isn't done yet. Taking a hydrometer reading is wasting a few ounces of beer. No one likes alcohol abuse.

dry hopping is nucleating the co2 and bubbling it out. Hydrometer is the only way to know. And depending on the recipe, you should take a reasonable guess at what the finishing gravity should be.

i took a gravity reading when I transferred it to secondary a week and a half ago, and it was 1.016.

Well, if it's still at 1.016, it's done.

One tip, for next time- dryhop when you're a week away from bottling/kegging. That way, the beer can finish/clear/sit or whatever it is that you want it to do in secondary. Then, dryhop 7 days before you want to package it, so that it doesn't pick up any grassy flavors from a too-extended dryhoppping.

It's too late now, but I would have kegged that beer on 7-10 days of dryhopping.

adc123 and Yooper are both right about 2 different things. Dry hops will increase air lock activity from nucleation, but I think that would be done after 10 days.

What was your OG? if it's within BJCP style guidelines then your beer is done or very nearly done. Just today I racked an IIPA off dry hops into a tertiary to settle out a bit. OG=1.079; FG=1.011. 8.9% ABV. Both those numbers are on the lower end of the range.

I suggest racking your beer off the dry hops regardless, and if you're concerned that it's not finished then let it sit for a few days after racking and keep your eye on the airlock.

I'm planning on cold crashing my IIPA for about a month before bottling to let the flavors mellow a bit. the alcohol and hops are a bit harsh still.

Yooper, it sounds like you prefer to bulk condition before dry hopping and dry hop just before kegging. Is this a procedure you always follow for dry hopping? I'm curious because the way my beer tastes now I think it could use some time to relax the hops down a bit. Is the difference in our process just a personal preference thing or is there a legit reason for the the way you do it. Sorry to hijack a bit. I feel like this is a reasonable "next step" question to the thread and I'm always looking to challenge my process.

Well, if it's still at 1.016, it's done.

One tip, for next time- dryhop when you're a week away from bottling/kegging. That way, the beer can finish/clear/sit or whatever it is that you want it to do in secondary. Then, dryhop 7 days before you want to package it, so that it doesn't pick up any grassy flavors from a too-extended dryhoppping.

It's too late now, but I would have kegged that beer on 7-10 days of dryhopping.

I concur wholeheartedly. I usually do not dry hop until 10 days before I plan to rack out to keg.

Yooper, it sounds like you prefer to bulk condition before dry hopping and dry hop just before kegging. Is this a procedure you always follow for dry hopping? I'm curious because the way my beer tastes now I think it could use some time to relax the hops down a bit. Is the difference in our process just a personal preference thing or is there a legit reason for the the way you do it. Sorry to hijack a bit. I feel like this is a reasonable "next step" question to the thread and I'm always looking to challenge my process.

I don't condition IPAs long, but yes I dryhop just before kegging. I like the hops to be much more "in my face" and I find that letting it age a bit softens it too much. It really depends, though- a beer dryhopped with chinook or other "harsher" hops might need a bit more time to mellow, while the grapefruity goodness of amarillo and cascade are better when fresher in my opinion.

I'm dryhopping an IPA today, since it's been finished well over a week. It's clear, and perfect. I'm racking onto 2 ounces of simcoe, and an ounce of amarillo. In about 5-7 days, I'll rack it from the carboy off the hops and into the keg.

This batch was very clear when I transferred it from primary to secondary, and fermentation was pretty much at a halt. This activity began after the transfer to secondary. I made this same beer last time, and everything went according to plan. Ten days have passed since I dry-hopped. The beer is churning, just as if it were still fermenting, not clear at all like it was after primary.

can i just put the carboy into the fridge to crash cool and then rack to keg after that?

Yeah, if you've got the room.. I use a temp-controlled freezer, and just dial the temp down to the high 30's about 3-4 days before bottling.

OK, the activity has slowed to a stop and it is beginning to settle. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of problem?

Why do you think it's a problem? Did you check the gravity again?

Every fermentation is different. :)

I didn't bother to take another reading. I just kegged it. I know that it is finished, 9% ABV based on the last gravity reading. I'm good, thanks! I will let you all know how this one turns out when I taste it in a couple days.

OK, the activity has slowed to a stop and it is beginning to settle. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of problem?

Yep this happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I took my gravity reading and it was done. I bottled it and I drank the stuff I used to take the gravity reading and it was Yummy! To bad I promised this batch to a friend for his birthday. :(

Back