How to increase alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
Without taking away from body and flavor.

I have a 1.010 ending gravity beer which is around 3% if I'm not mistaken, and the taste at bottling was GREAT! I was wondering how can I get the ABV up without bringing the quality down?

Awfully unfortunate, my recipe is on my desktop PC and oh guess what? My power supply died while I was out of town for a week and the computer was off! So... yeah until I get a new power supply (ordered last night) I am unable to answer that question because I can't remember it from 4 weeks ago :(

At this point, there's nothing you want to do to that beer. In the future, you can up the malt and work on keeping it balanced.

At this point, there's nothing you want to do to that beer. In the future, you can up the malt and work on keeping it balanced.

I certainly will! It's already bottled ;) but just to clarify, adding more base malt into the wort will increase the ABV? What type of ratios are we talking here? this batch I did 50/50 liquid/dried. Light extract liquid 3.3 lbs and light extract dried 1lb.

The FG alone does not determine the Alcohol Percentage.

You can have a 15% abv beer with a FG of 1.010 or a 1% abv beer with a FG of 1.010

to find the % alcohol you must have the OG and FG

Where did you get the original recipe?

I basically didn't use one. I took what I learned from my first batch (the day before) which was a kitted Red Ale, and applied some knowledge I have been learning from reading the forums, books, etc. and added some orange/lemon zest in addition to the aforementioned extracts. Used Light Barley to steep and cascade hops as boiling AND finishing hops. I also used 6oz instead of 5oz of dextrose in hopes I get a tad bit more carbonation -- that or the bottles will pop while I'm out of town this week lol :)

Do you remember the specifics of the recipe?

Was this a 10 gallon batch?

I don't remember every little detail, but no it was a 5gallon batch. the "kit" for the Red Ale had a 5oz package of the sugar and I used that as directed. Like I said I threw in 1 more ounce in hopes I'd get a bit more carbonation -- I asked my brother to check in on it every now and then so my room isn't flooded.

Those 5 oz packets that come with kits are already very high carbonation in my opinion.

The problem is that new brewers tend not to wait long enough for the bottles to properly carbonate.

Those 5 oz packets that come with kits are already very high carbonation in my opinion.

The problem is that new brewers tend not to wait long enough for the bottles to properly carbonate.

Oh, well if 5oz is too much then 6 may be too much :) live and learn I suppose - I'll wait for the final product to make the real assessment though haha -- I'm giving them 14 days before I crack any bottles open. Of course, since I can't drink 48 beers in 2 days, I plan on these lasting at least another month after the fact so hopefully the last 12-18 beers will be the proper carbonation or at least as close as this new brewer can get :) I just hope the flavor is sexxxxyyyy

Back