Brewing Salts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a reference that tells what each of the salts will add to the water?

If I start with RO or DI water what do I add to get a given profile? Or if I start with my water how do I choose salts to to particular levels?

I did not give any specifics, I'm just trying to get a handle on water building at this time.

Thanks, That is what prompted the question. I've been reading about that spreadsheet and have loaded my profile into it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to add to get to a specific profile. Not any specific one right now, but need to know what each salt will do rather than guess with each one to get where I want.

The link is malformed.

Try this one:
http://www.huizingh.net/EZ-water-calculator.htm

Did you mean something like this?
Code:
Common			- Sientific		- 1 gram per gallon adds
Name			- Name
*********************************************************************************************************
Chalk		(CaCO3) - Calcium carbonate	- 105.8ppm Ca + 158.4ppm CO3	--> Increases Mash pH
Gypsum		(CaSO4) - Calcium sulfate	-  61.5ppm Ca + 147.4ppm SO4	--> Lowers    Mash pH
Calcium chloride(CaCl2) - Calcium chloride	-  72.0ppm Ca + 127.4ppm Cl	--> Lowers    Mash pH
Epsom salts	(MgSO4) - Magnesium sulfate	-  26.1ppm Mg + 103.0ppm SO4
Baking soda	(NaHCO3)- Sodium Bicarbonate	-  72.0ppm Na + 189.0ppm HCO3
Canning salt	(NaCl)  - Sodium chloride	- 103.9ppm Na + 160.3ppm Cl

Back