Purl Beer Recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Any of you guys ever try and make an English Purl beer? It has wormwood and a bunch of spices in it. It sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find a recipe. Anyone????????

Eastside

Okay, so I brewed a strong dark ale and used the recipe from the book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers. Very cool book if you want to make some crazy brews. So here is what I did:

5 Gallon Batch:

11# 2 Row (Uk)
2# munich 20L
1.75 C-10
1# carapils
.75# c-120
.50 # special roast

Mash @ 149 for 75 min.
mash out 168 for 15 min.
sparge @170 for 45 min.
boil for 90 min.

pre-boil gravity 1.078

No hop additions

10 left in boil add:
1 oz. Wormwood
1 tblsp Gentian powder
1 tblsp horseradish
1 tblsp orange peel
1 oz. calamus root (coffee grinder)
1 oz. juniper berries(coffee grinder)
1 oz. Galangal Root (coffee grinder)

Post boil gravity 1.094

3 mil starter with 3 viles of WL London Ale Yeast

Dry secondary additions:

1 oz. wormwood
1 tblsp horseradish
1 oz. orange peel
1 tblsp black peppercorn (coffee grinder)

This truly is a unique beer unlike anything I have ever tried. It will sit for the next 4.5 months with small additttions of spices to create subtle layers of flavor. The beer is very "Green" and It is a very sweet beer, which is why I am choosing to add small amounts of bittering spices over the next several months to balance it out. It should be perfect for a Christmas tasting!

Peace

Eastside

UPDATE:

This beer has showed very well. It took 1st place in a Morebeer forum compettition and it took 1st place at a Christmas tasting where it was up against all commercial beers! :ban: It was a total experiment, but I guess I will have to brew it again at some point this year.

Eastside

UPDATE;

Okay, so the ride continues. This beer has been picked up by a commercial brewery and I have been invited to collaberate with the brewer and he has invited me to brew it with him. The first batch will be 30 gallons, he has his beers on tap at approx. 7 locations in our town. I have already posted the recipe, you all should give it a try. :mug:

Eastside

4 years later, I wanted to say thanks for posting this even though nobody was replying. I'm very interested in doing a purl and will likely try out your recipe. Thanks!

Eastside Brewer, first of all thank you for sticking to keep updating this post even when no reply.. Almost a decade but still I find this info helpful

This beer type is on my to-do list since a while..

Back