Malting My Own Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saludaranger

Reaction score
Dear folks,

I purchased raw soft wheat from a mill here in SC (built in the late 1800s and the tour was unbelievable.)
I have germinated the wheat and plan on heating it in ovens that I can set at 125 degrees. In essence - I am malting my wheat for my wheat beer recipe.
Here is my question:
I still need to mill it right?

If you are unfamiliar with the process- this link explains the fairly simple process:
BYO - Make Your Own Malt

I will say that my germinated wheat is looking & smelling really amazing - and if it works I plan to share it with my local brew brothers as a new and local source for malted wheat.

So do i need to mill my malted wheat? I feel I do. Anyone ever malted their own wheat before?

I am currently brewing an all grain American Pale Ale (a magic hat 9 clone).
I figured I'd share that tidbit -

Saluda Ranger

Yes, milling breaks the kernels up and increases surface area for starch conversion & makes it easier to wash out the sugars. It might take a narrower gap on your mill, as wheat is smaller than barley.

Yeah - makes sense to me!
I have germinated the wheat for 3 days. It' agrospire (the large root) is about 3/4's the length of the entire wheat berry.

I am now heating it up to about 115 degrees. Its been in the commercial warming ovens for about 2 hours now. Its really starting to look good!

The wheat has germinated and been kilned. The malted wheat was then milled. We were really happy with the result.

J

Latest posts

Back