NPR - Relax folks, it really is honey after all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some "honey" at a local chain grocer that had corn syrup as its first listed ingredient.

As a hobbyist, I'm ok with paying a little extra for peace of mind and local support. I'm more likely to trust a farmer's market than some big corporation, at any rate.

I've seen some "honey" at a local chain grocer that had corn syrup as its first listed ingredient.

As a hobbyist, I'm ok with paying a little extra for peace of mind and local support. I'm more likely to trust a farmer's market than some big corporation, at any rate.

Are you sure it wasn't

HONEY flavored syrup?

I've seen that a lot. Especially at the cheaper discount stores.

Yea it's the same with "maple syrup", you rarely see the real deal in most stores today.

Lol today I saw a bottle of syrup labeled, "no high fructose corn syrup" but regular corn syrup was still the main ingred...

All I know is that the FDA requires that it be 100% honey if you're going to label it as honey, but as long as you put syrup or immatation or other trick words in tiny font that is still part of the "product name" then it might as well be spent oil with HFCS.

snuesen said:

The funny thing is that I actually trust most farmers markets less. Because after seeing the price of honey at farmers markets I wondered if I could buy a ton of honey at Costco, repackage it, and resell it at a huge markup at farmers markets. How would anyone know the difference?

Latest posts

Back