Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcephus

Reaction score
Quick question about a CFC.

Can you use a CFC with a siphon? As it stands currently I'm brewing in a Keggle, but I haven't cut it yet and put a ball valve on it. So I was curious about buiding a CFC and just using my Siphon on it. Is a water pump absolutely necessary in this situation.

Thanks for all your help!!

Brew on!!

Most auto siphons are not rated for use at high temps. Your best bet would be waiting to install a valve at the bottom of your keggle. If you have high temp tube you can start a siphon by hand. Sanitize and lower the hose into the water slowly allowing it to fill then plug the end by pinching it off. Then pull the hose out and down, now filled with wort, and hook onto your CFC inlet.

Another option is if you have a super sihopn you can use the end piece on a section of high temp hose.

I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT to start the siphon by hand.

Are you planning on adding a valve on your keggle at some point? You might save yourself some aggravation and a ton of burn salve if you take that plunge now instead of later.......;)

I used cfc with syphon for couple firsr brew sesions, u can put a T below bottom of a keg on the tube u use to syphon, this way u can start by mouth without risk of burning urself or contamination but i have to tell u that valve is the way to go

Back