popping the apple/cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimithing

Reaction score
hey all whats kicking? tis the season and i thought i would whip up some hard cider. only problem is i never made one before. i have read alot of post/recipes and kinda came up with my own little idea. i was hoping i could throw it out there and you all could tell me if it will work and what improvments i could make. thanks for all the help in advance. ok here it is

5 gal apple cider(no pres.)
white labs sweet mead yeast, yeast nutient
1 lb. of light brown sugar
24oz. of frozen raspberry concentrate(to be added to 2nd ferm.)

tips and technique would also be greatly appreciated

Looks might tasty... I'd say give it a month in primary, a month in secondary, and a couple months in bulk aging... let us know how it turns out...

Ive never used mead yeast before, but you might want to consider rigging a blow-off tube for primary just to be on the safe side.

Otherwise this could happen...

aldphus, when you say bulk aging do you mean let it sit for a couple of months in bottles? i was also wondering if since i am adding sugar in the primary will i still be able to add sugar before racking to get a carbonated cider or is it ince i add the sugar i can no longer have carbonated cider?

jimithing said:
aldphus, when you say bulk aging do you mean let it sit for a couple of months in bottles? i was also wondering if since i am adding sugar in the primary will i still be able to add sugar before racking to get a carbonated cider or is it ince i add the sugar i can no longer have carbonated cider?

Bulk aging is racking it into a carboy and putting that carboy in your closet for a few months to a year for malo-lactci fermentation to take place. Bottle aging is kinda the same thing, except each bottle may age differently. And yeah, so long as you haven't surpassed the alcohol tolerance of your yeast, you should still be able to carb it.

hey adolphus thanks for the help. i do appreciate it. my last question is do i have to wait multiple months for the aging or is like 2 months ok the drink

jimithing said:
hey adolphus thanks for the help. i do appreciate it. my last question is do i have to wait multiple months for the aging or is like 2 months ok the drink

Generally cider ages better over time, so the longer the better. That being said, you can drink it at any time though.

jimithing said:

If you are adding concentrate to your secondary, you might consider adding another racking in there also.... that concentrate is just going to start fermentation right back up, and you'll have sediment again just like the end of the first month...

1 month primary, 1 month secondary (with concentrate), 1 month tertiary will be drinkable, but a couple more months in bulk aging would make it better...

I would have to agree with Adolphus, aging is your friend with ciders - you'll really kick yourself if you drink it too soon, because if you like what you taste at first, you'll love what you get after about 5 months aging. Just put the carboy somewhere you can forget it for a while, and make something else to take your mind off of it.

JeanLucD said:
I would have to agree with Adolphus, aging is your friend with ciders - you'll really kick yourself if you drink it too soon, because if you like what you taste at first, you'll love what you get after about 5 months aging. Just put the carboy somewhere you can forget it for a while, and make something else to take your mind off of it.

I have tried to put away and not think about it but it calls too me from the closet "Drink Me, come on just one little taste." Then before I know it my batch is gone. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Haha, thats like what happened to me. I know its really hard - thats why I reckon it's easier to make something else if you can to take your mind off it, lol. Ah I really can't wait till my apple and pear trees start producing, so that I can make some perry or cider really cheap, mmmm. Maybe you should invest in a lock for your brew cupboard, and give the key to someone else :D.

Back