Apflewein variant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
In the apflewein instructions it calls for all juice and no water. I am going to bottle mine this week end and will have a carboy that needs re filling. If one were to make a blueberry pomegranate with ocean spray juice would you use straight juice and no water? I would like a slightly higher sg of around 1085 as well. Thanks Mike

Most definitely no water Mike. Delicious choice! If you have any blueberries hanging aroung, two pound per gallon makes it even more awesome. But it is great just using the juice as-is. I ended up bottling dry and off-dry.

Sara

You probably know this, but make sure it is 100% juice. Some of the fancy flavors are "juice cocktails" and are only like 20% juice. I almost made this mistake the other day.

Thanks Sara.

Amonkey, What kind of juice do use. This is ocean spray and it says 15 percent fruit juice...... It cost right at thirty dollars for ten half gallon jugs. Thanks Mike

I haven't used anything other than just apple juice yet, just getting started. But if it is not 100% juice there is alot of added sugars and probably preservatives that might not make good wine. Look at the ingredients.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Thanks Sara.

Amonkey, What kind of juice do use. This is ocean spray and it says 15 percent fruit juice...... It cost right at thirty dollars for ten half gallon jugs. Thanks Mike

I look for the 100% OceanSpray BluePom...which is getting hard for me to find lately. My area WalMart is the only one that carries it from the varied assortment of grocery stores near me. I paid $2.71 per half gallon recently. Others report OldOrchard makes a frozen concentrate. I know OS has a BluePom cocktail on shelves now, and that is likely what you have. I would really consider adding some blueberries and/or some white grape juice to punch up the body(1-2 frozen can/gallon). But, there are many who use cocktail juices to make wine, so fear not. And I haunt Kroger and buy their Knudsen's Organic 100% juices when they go on sale. Most recently got quarts of tart cherry, dark cherry and pear for $1 each!!

Deb just went thru Walmart and the grocery store and mos all is 20 percent or less. The only pure juice here is the v8 fusion stuff. It is fruit and veg juice blended. Lot's of solids suspended in it. Any body tried the v8 fusion stuff? Mike

Back