My Latest Beer Purchase...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I stopped by the store to pick up a couple bottles of the 2007 Alaskan Smoked Porter, and while I was there I saw a few things that caught my eye, so I picked them up.

Paulaner Salvator - The Original Doppelbock, I've had it before and needed another
Weihenstephan Festbier - A holiday special beer, different from the Oktoberfest

And the one that really caught my eye:

Direct from Bamberg, Germany...
Heller Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen

I've wanted to try a real Rauchbier, and now I've found it. They also had the Urbock and another one that I want to give a try.

I am curious to hear your feedback on the Schlenkerla. Had a bottle of that two years ago that was just a bit too over the top. I tried to split it with a buddy and he refused to drink it past the first sip...I couldn't finish the whole thing.

I have never had a Rauchbier, however I have heard they are an acquired taste. I am anxious to hear your impression as well.

I really curious too, especially since a buddy of mine has a smoker. We've talked about smoking some malt and making a smoked beer, and if I like this, it will give me another option besides a smoked porter. Not that there's anything wrong with a smoked porter...:)

I *love* smoked beers. I just brewed a smoked hefe, which I cannot wait to try. If they're an acquired taste, they didn't take too long for me to acquire!

Brewsmith said:
I really curious too, especially since a buddy of mine has a smoker. We've talked about smoking some malt and making a smoked beer, and if I like this, it will give me another option besides a smoked porter. Not that there's anything wrong with a smoked porter...:)

My buddy's description after his first sip:

OMG, that is like a sausage wrapped with bacon in a glass

You won't be disappointed with the rauchbier. Make sure you open it with a barbecued steak on the table and you'll grin for a week.

Back