Summer Beer ideas for a 72' fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieDunlop

Reaction score
I am a new brewer with two batches of extract & specialty grain under my belt. I brewed an Amber and a Brown. I would like to brew a tasty, lower alcohol session beer. I can only ferment in my dark closet around 72' so I was wondering if any of you folks have some ideas/recipes for me on a cream ale, blonde ale, hefeweizen or other summer beer favorites that would work at my fermentation temp? Thank you!

A Wit would also be a good choice - I've had good luck using WLP400 at an ambient of 72-75.

If you dont want to invest in a fermentation freezer or "son of a fermentation chiller" put your fermenter in a tub filled with water, and rotate frozen water bottles through the water to maintain whatever temperature you want. You will only need to do this for the first 5-7 days and you can brew whatever style you like. Or, go with saison, belgian yeast, or a wit.

+1 to the saison or wit, they can easily handle those temps

Otherwise definitely consider a swamp cooler set up for anything else.

Not to bump the thread off topic or anything, but could others recommend or point us newbs into the direction of yeast that ferments at high temps? The saison, belgian yeast and wit recs are great, but are there any others? That come to mind?

There's a few English strains that are rated up to 75 or so. You can check the manufacturers' websites for info on which strains perform better at higher temps, but the temp inside your fermenter will be 5ish degrees higher than ambient temps. Just placing the fementer in a water bath will help bring you closer to ambient temps, with or without frozen water bottles.

I have successfully done both a Saison and a Wit this summer. Both of them were above 72.

WLP 053 Burton Ale yeast like warmer temps. Made some good beers with this yeast.

Great suggestions. Thank you. I sampled a Wit and a Saison because I have never had them before. I wasn't a big fan. I'm sure as I have more of them and come to know the style I will develop a greater appreciation, but I think for now, for my current tastes, I should focus more on possible recipes for cream, blonde or a hef. I used White Labs 060 Blend Yeast for my Amber and Brown and they both fermented nicely at 72' and tasted great so maybe I can work that yeast into a summer beer. Other ideas/recipes? Thanks, you folks are great!

ReggieDunlop said:
Great suggestions. Thank you. I sampled a Wit and a Saison because I have never had them before. I wasn't a big fan. I'm sure as I have more of them and come to know the style I will develop a greater appreciation, but I think for now, for my current tastes, I should focus more on possible recipes for cream, blonde or a hef. I used White Labs 060 Blend Yeast for my Amber and Brown and they both fermented nicely at 72' and tasted great so maybe I can work that yeast into a summer beer. Other ideas/recipes? Thanks, you folks are great!

Visit the recipe wiki and look through the recipes of the styles you like, I'm sure you'll find many , just keep in mind that all yeast have temperature thresholds and the higher temps will produce more of the flavors, some may be off.

Each yeast manufacturer's websites lists the strains and temperature ranges and what flavors they impart.

Latest posts

Back