Just opened Fermenter for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tswea1

Reaction score
Brew day was last saturday and I just opened up my fermenter for the first time to take a hydrometer reading. I have to say im pretty surprised that my original liquid concoction hadnt turned into something noxious but was actually on its way to beer, it was pretty tasty too. Alittle watery but thats due to the fact i added to much water when i topped off after my boil.

And here is a picture i ment to put in the OP

0721121339.jpg

Thats my plan netflyer, although its killing me i know its worth the wait

Looks awesome, you can trust your future brews will be fine at the end of the 21 days.. you don't need to take the top off and check the gravity cause it will be finished one way or the other after 21 days. Less chance of you infecting it as you lean over and google at it :)

Netflyer said:
Looks awesome, you can trust your future brews will be fine at the end of the 21 days.. you don't need to take the top off and check the gravity cause it will be finished one way or the other after 21 days. Less chance of you infecting it as you lean over and google at it :)

Exactly!

When you remove the lid you also disturb the co2 that was built up inside of the fermenter, which allows oxygen to get in. I only check final gravity on bottling day. If I have any doubts that it might not be finished fermenting I take it out of the swamp cooler for 2 days to let it warm up and finish off. As it warms up (and finishes fermenting) it releases suspended co2 which will scrub out any oxygen I might have let in during the previous gravity reading.

Thanks for the advice, i leave it be hiding in the corner of the basement for another 2 weeks

Back