Polarware 42qt problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etho1416

Reaction score
I am really disappointed with this brewpot. I went with it instead of the megapot since it is made the USA, but I guess that does not mean that much any more.

Does anyone know if older version of this are welded on the inside? I swear I saw an odler one where the two holes are welded both on the outside and inside of the pot. Since mine is not welded on the inside, there is a really tight space where crud could hide and infiect my next beer.

Does anyone know how to get the ball valve all the way on? It won't screw all the way on, it feels like it is going to snap. It gets tight, but there is a few millimeters of exposed thread between the valve and the pot on the inside of the valve. This has me worried that crud will collect in there, be difficult to clean out, and ruin my next beer. Or I'll have to take the darn thing off and clean it every single time I use it.

I am serioulsy considering selling this thing at a loss or just using it as an expensive HLT.

Yup, taking it off every time is the way to go. that's what I do. Every single time I take it off and clean it with a tooth brush. The ball valve is not supposed to screw all the way down. Just wrap the threads with some plumbers tape to ensure a good seal.

It doesn't matter which of the 3 kettles it is if the issue is on the inside. You are boiling for 60 minutes right? It's everything that touches the wort after the boil kettle that matters.

I am really disappointed with this brewpot. I went with it instead of the megapot since it is made the USA, but I guess that does not mean that much any more.

Does anyone know if older version of this are welded on the inside? I swear I saw an odler one where the two holes are welded both on the outside and inside of the pot. Since mine is not welded on the inside, there is a really tight space where crud could hide and infiect my next beer.

Does anyone know how to get the ball valve all the way on? It won't screw all the way on, it feels like it is going to snap. It gets tight, but there is a few millimeters of exposed thread between the valve and the pot on the inside of the valve. This has me worried that crud will collect in there, be difficult to clean out, and ruin my next beer. Or I'll have to take the darn thing off and clean it every single time I use it.

I am serioulsy considering selling this thing at a loss or just using it as an expensive HLT.

Nobody would weld both sides of the coupler. If anything they might of sanitary welded the couplers. That will make the inside weld look like the outside weld. Without seeing a picture I can assume they didn't sanitary weld it. Honestly *in my opinion* a coupler doesn't need to be sanitary welded. I've sold 100's of welded kettles without problem. True, it doesn't look the best but you'll be boiling in it and using SanStar (or similar product) should kill everything.

As for the ball valve... The thread are tapered and you won't be able to tighten it flush. Teflon tape and hand tightening is more than enough. Anymore than that and you risk damaging the valve or kettle.

-Ben

A brew pot welded only on the outside shoud be fine and if I had to chose between a inside weld or outside weld I would prefer a outside weld anyway because it looks better. If anything did happen to start growing in there the heat from the boil would kill it anyway.

Mega Pots are actually made by Update International in China. We swage and solder fittings from the inside they are clean and look great.

Back