Priming with Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewgolf1

Reaction score
Would it be possible to prime with fruit and has anyone already tried? I am thinking that I will take frozen strawberries (thawed out) and blanch them for about 5 minutes, then blend, and strain. Add this to the bottom of my bottling bucket and syphon on top. From the sugar content on the bag I figure that I would need to use about 4 lbs of strawberries to equal the same about priming sugar per 5 gallon batch (about 4oz sugar). The issue is how much of the sugar found in the strawberries is fermentable? and would this be consistent across different types of fruit?

Well the yeast won't eat the strawberries, and you'll be left with a bunch of chunks of white scary looking fruit in the bottom of each bottle.

You can prime with just about anything fermentable, it's just breaking them down into a way that will provide the sugars to the yeast and not be unpalatable for the drinker.

All sorts of things can be used, including hard candy that has been dissolved into a liquid form, fruit juice, syrups, odd sugars.

I provide on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

It will show you how to figure out how much you need based on any nutritional info you can find.

Awesome, so in your opinion would it cause undesirable flavors to prime with anything that has high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient?

Back