High-AA hops to complement Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trencher

Reaction score
I've almost finished drinking my first batch, a delicious clone of Bell's Two Hearted, and I want to make another round of IPA. The basic recipe is great but I want a bit more bitterness.

My original hop schedule was all Cascade: 1.5 oz @ 60 min, 1 oz @ 45 min, 3 oz @ 15 min and 2 oz dry hopped. I'd like to replace the first two additions with a different hop, maybe something around 8-10% alpha acid. Any suggestions?

Columbus is often called "Super Cascades". Chinook works well, but it can be harsh in large qualtities. I've made several 3C-PAs

Columbus is a good choice. Amarillo is often fairly high AA%, as well, and is probably the least-harsh of any of the higher-AA% hops. Personally, I think it's one of the most flavorful hops out there, especially if you like them citrusy. I've used it in conjunction with Columbus and Cascade, and it's absolutely wonderful.

FWIW, I think most Two Hearted clones are all-Centennial. Personally, I'd use something different for the bittering, but you might try Centennial for the flavor and aroma additions.

My "Five Count" IPA was my first go at my own personalized IPA. Not necessarily my recipe as I'm sure someone has done it before, just more to my liking. I like them citrusy as well but like a bit of the bittering from the higher AA hops. I used Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade. I haven't tried it yet as its still bottle conditioning but this should turn out great. Trying to hold out until September.

Here was the hop addition schedule if you're going for something similar.

1 oz Chinook (11.5% AA) @ 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.9% AA) @ 40 min
1 oz Cascade (5.8% AA) @ 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ flameout

1 oz Cascade dryhopped for one week.

Try Horizon which can be used as a substitute for Magnum. High AA, but seems to be a bit more mellow. I used Horrizon in an American lager which seemed to come out well. This is a great link for Hop related items.
http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/

I like using Magnum for bittering...a little goes a long way.

I have done some Pale Ales with Magnum for bittering and the following for flavor and aroma

Columbus
Cent./Columbus blend
Chinook/Columbus blend

They all have turned out well. If you want more bitterness Magnum at 60 will do the job.

Bike N Brew said:
FWIW, I think most Two Hearted clones are all-Centennial. Personally, I'd use something different for the bittering, but you might try Centennial for the flavor and aroma additions.

IIRC most all the recipes for clones I have seen were all Centennial brews as well.

How high is high?
I think Brewers Gold and Centennial at around 9% make great kettle hops to use with Cascade.
Over the top high?
Amarillo is decent, and Warrior is a fine hop.
Simcoe? I'm experimenting with that one tonight.

But in all honesty, I think you should be more concerned with the humulone to cohumulone ratio's more then the AAU's when considering a high alpha hop.

Centennial.....or Simcoe but I'm partial to Centennial.

Back