Naming my beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew a pale ale... I call it a pale ale. I brew a brown ale... I call it a brown ale. I brew an Irish stout... I call it an Irish stout. Notice a pattern? :)

My roommate gives me a hard time about it, but I'm not selling my beer so I don't feel a need to come up with a clever name.

I gave up thinking of creative names after my first 3 or so,that and the frequency and differnet styles i was doing , i was just using generic names like Nugget Pale Ale.That way i could associate the ingredience with the beer to remember.Although i log my brewing practice meticulously on paper as well.
I may make names if i give them away and make nice lables for people.Usually even then they are generic names, as the friends and family generally dont drink craft beer- that way they can associate what a pale ale or amber is. I think a generic name still looks good with your homebrew signature and design on it.

Most just get generic names but occasionally a name just happens because of the day it was brewed.

Fool Pale Ale.... brewed on April Fool's Day
Super Moon Amber...brewed on the day of the super moon
Faultline Stout...earthquake hit the East coast when it was fermenting.
Lights Out IPA... power outage on brew day.
Blonde Rapture.. brewed on the day the rapture was supposed to happen.

I have a few more that I cannot think of right now.

I have a dry erase board hanging from my kegerator's drip tray. I just list the ingredients that are in each batch. The same goes if I give a bottle to the LHBS. I list the ingredients on the label so they have the recipe.

It wasn't a real issue...was just sitting here trying to name my latest beer and gave up after a few minutes. I'm not a very creative person.

Since i have a good pipeline i often pull a beer to drink and get out my brewlog and critique it often.Im kinda a geek like that.:eek: But hey, im always trying to make em better if possible. Mostly im trying to determine which water im using works better.

I always tend to name it after something that happens on the brewday.. A few weeks ago I was brewing an Irish Red that had the lowest IBU of anything I've made yet. While I was heating strike water, I looked in the kettle and there was a giant female mosquito floating on top of the water. I managed to fish her body out, but the skinny legs fell off and I couldn't catch them so Sweet Leggy Red was born !!

Like the name says, I like to use obscure references from media, but most of the time I'm too lazy to bother. I'm trying to at least get some solid names for beers I brew again and again. It started with my hefe, Digital Pimp, which I've brewed more than any other recipe due to it being SWMBO's favorite. Also my Lunchtime Bitter has been brewed multiple times.

I try to pick a local geologic feature and name my brews after them.
Ohikilolo Fest (Oktoberfest Ale)
Bolo Head IPA (black IPA)
Tiki Ridge Porter
etc

Lunchtime said:
I don't know that I'm supposed to laugh at that...but I did.

I deleted what I wrote because some of the names I come up with could offend someone... got out of the navy a few years ago and I'm still trying to shake it...

We've been naming the really good/special ones...we bottled yesterday, and after tasting the bottling dregs, promptly named it Velvet Hammer Milk Stout. Tastes like a creamy coffee/chocolate milkshake and carries an 8% abv.

Back