High Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawDeuce22

Reaction score
The temperatures in my apartment won't go below 75/76 degrees. Is there any types of beers that have high fermenting temperatures that I could brew in my hot apartment that won't mind seeing temperatures upwards of 80/81 degrees?

Try brewing some Belgian Beer they usually call for a higher ferment temp to develop there yeast characteristics!!

I brewed many, many batches in exactly those temps back in the day in an unconditioned apt in San Diego. I used California Ale yeast for most batches because it can handle these temps without giving off too much off flavors/aromas.

I brewed a german heffeweizen last summer the night my air conditioning went out. The temps shot up to the mid 80's in my place over the next couple days. I thought for sure the beer was shot, eespecially since it finished fermenting by the end of the following day. Turns out the beer tasted perfect, and I didn't mind cutting a week off the fermentation time. Maybe I got lucky, everyone talks about using temps to balance the banana and clove flavors, but they tasted perfectly balanced to me.

Keep in mind that your beer will be fermenting at about 5 degrees above ambient...maybe more if the higher temps keep the yeast really active!

Do what I do and put the fermentor in a tub of water and add a couple frozen 2 liter bottles of water to it once or twice a day. Works wonders.

If you go to the Wyeast and White Labs sites you can see the ideal temp ranges for each yeast strain. Saisons are perfect for higher temps (and delicious). I love Wyeast 3711 French Saison and it runs just fine at 80 in my experience.

I also just recently swamp coolered my last batch on Pacman as mrduna01 describes. Haven't had the beer yet but kept temps down pretty well.

Belgians and Saisons work great at those temps.

If you can cool your wort down below the recommended temp for the yeast and then just letbit ramp up, it works great. I pitch around 64 for the Belgian yeasts and then just let them do what they want after that.

What kind of temp do you maintain with the two 2L aftermath approach? My house is 69-70 and my previous shot up to 84 avg. Current one is staying around 75 +/- 1 degree with plain water bath. There are a couple other beers I'm afraid to try with the highish temps... Does the other approach keep it much cooler more consistently?

Accidic said:
What kind of temp do you maintain with the two 2L aftermath approach? My house is 69-70 and my previous shot up to 84 avg. Current one is staying around 75 +/- 1 degree with plain water bath. There are a couple other beers I'm afraid to try with the highish temps... Does the other approach keep it much cooler more consistently?

My apartment stays at 70 and with the water bath and 2 liters the fermenter stays pretty consistent at 65 to 68.

Back