Million Scoville Unit Bhut Jolokia Hot Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drj

Reaction score
This is a habanero pepper cider that has a VERY hot aftertaste. The Bhut Jolokia pepper is rated at 1,000,000 Scoville units! If you like really hot peppers, this is a great brew to accompany buffalo wings or a good chili. Also makes a great batter for spicy wings or onion rings.

Bhut Jolokia Cider

2 small Bhut Jolokia Habanero peppers
2 gal Mussleman's 100% apple cider
1 Tbl yeast nutrient
1 Tbl pectic enzyme
1 pck Red Star premier cuvee yeast
1.2 oz. table sugar (for priming)

Roast the peppers on the grill or in oven, then loosely mash with about two cups of the cider. Add to the primary and swirl generously to get a good suspension of the pepper in the cider. Activate yeast with 2 Tbl sugar, nutrient and pectic enzyme in warm filtered water. Add to carboy and swirl vigorously for 5 minutes to aerate. Airlock it. After fermentation, rack into priming bucket and add 1.2 oz of table sugar, then bottle.

SG=1.052 @ 72
Pitched 23OCT2010
FG=0.9998 @ 72
Bottled 28OCT2010
ABV=6.8%

I did a similar red sevina cider that tuned out much milder. I think that if you use a standard jalapeno. there won't be much heat. I'd rate the bhat cider at about the equivalent heat as a little more than straight tabasco.

Yes. Roasting brings out the heat and the skin allows the pepper to hold together

Back