Mash Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Well, we got to arguing about which filter would be better, being the way we are neither of us thinks we're wrong, so im asking you guys...

First is my way... its like a normal manifold except for the straight parts are braided steel with as many as possible to equally filter

90========90
T==========T
T==========4>>>
T==========T
90========90
90= 90 bend
t= T fitting
4= 4 way fitting
= is the braid
>>> toward the valve

The other idea is to make a SS box with small holes to filter and a tube siphoning out through the valve, the problem i see with this is
1) try and find SS sheet to create a box
2) you have to add extra water to fill this are
3) price
4) we don't have any reason to suspect any way is better than the other...

Since you recycle the water anyway there is not reason to have filter upon filter because you want the grain bed to filter also, which kills my third idea, braiding inside of copper or vice versa type of manifold...

Now some questions with batch sparging is there any reason to need equal filtering?
Would not a simple solution be to K.I.S. with my idea or another manifold or simple braided SS technique?
He thinks his idea is better because you get all of the possible wort, but im telling him you end up leaving some behind anyway..
Im also convince we should do it several ways to see which works best but the results will be too close to matter, so go with the cheper easier (MY) way...

What do you guys think?

Well i realized that since we're batch sparging either one would work just as well... i also realized that we should just go with the regular old braided SS method..

Back