Extract recipe for a Murphy's Irish Stout clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Hi all,

For my next batch, I want to make a stout on the lines of Murphy's Irish. One of my friends loves Murphy's and his 40th B-day party is coming up. If I can do it right, I can bring a bunch to the party.

I have read some of the other stout recipes on here as well...if you think one of these might fit the bill, let me know....

Any thoughts/suggestions? I am a n00b to brewing, so something extract w/specialty steeping grains would be the extent of my abilities (for now :) )
thx in advance

Here you go.

Note, this person is going way overboard on their treatment of the grains. All of those grains used are roasted speciality grains, and don't need to be mashed at all. They can be steeped for 45 minutes or so in 155 degree water prior to boiling and adding the extract.

-walker

Looks good. How rigid are the aging schedules for a Stout? I notice that the recipe calls for 2 week primary and 1-2 months secondary, but no mention of bottle conditioning times? I assume that stouts bet better with age?

almost all beer gets better with age. I've never made that particular recipe, either.

When is your friend's birthday?

-walker

December, though they might move the party to November 25th, in which case there might not be enough time. that won't stop me from brewing a stout next, but will put the kaibosh on supplying the party with any stout...

the beer will probably be ready to drink by then if you want to push it along. it will benefit (as will most beers) from a longer time in the secondary and in the bottles.

Anyway... I have a stout that I made 2 weeks ago (?) that I fully intend to open on my birthday (Dec 1st) for the first time. I expect I won't open the LAST bottle until sometime in February, and I expect that one to taste better.

You'll be two weeks behind me, but you could probably drink it at the party.

However, I would suggest using the stout as a gift instead of a party supply. Give the guy a bunch of it at his party. He can open some then if he wants, but make sure to tell him that it'll be a heck of a lot better after new years.

-walker

that is my plan B. it fits in well with what we normally give each other for our B-days, which is beer.

I brewed this Beamish clone a couple months ago at a friends house. I wish I could comment on the final product but with my friends busy schedule I have yet to get back over there.

5# Pale malt
.25# Chocolate malt
.75# Roasted Barley
.75# Wheat malt
.75# Corn sugar
Northern Brewer Hops 8 AAUs 60min
Ale yeast
O.G. 1.039

For a simple extract brew, replace pale and wheat malt with 4-4.5# LME of your choice and just steep the choc. and roast. malt with your preferred method. The lower gravity will result in a faster turnover and an easier drinking brew.

thx PT- I will keep that one on file too. I was looking at my LHBS and he puts together his own recipe kits based on his creations, and he has a stout on there. Now I have 3.....dammit I might have to make them all :)

point away! Personally, a good stout is my favorite, and St Patrick's day is right around the bend. actually, looking at a bunch of different recipes would probably help me out, since I am beginning to understand some of the staples required for certain styles, and what areas you can modify and play with to get different flavors. Now I just need to put it into practice.

Walker's Kaffe Stout

Grains (steep w/ 1.5gal @150F for 40 minutes, rinse w/ 1.5 gal @170F)
1# 90L crystal
1/3# black roast
1/4# roasted barley
1/2# carapils (for head)

Extract/Sugar
5.5# Laaglander Dark DME
1.5# British Amber DME
1# dark brown sugar (to boost alcohol since the Laaglander DME is high in dextrins)

Misc
8 oz italian espresso (pre-brewed and added at priming time to taste)

Hops
1 oz perle for 60 minutes
0.25 oz chinook for 60 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast (1084)

Priming
Prime with 1.5 cups dry malt extract

Man, that looks good too! I have started a spreadsheet for recipes, and this is going in too.

Here's the BYO clone:

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.007
IBU: 38
SRM: 41
ABV: 4.0

2.66 lbs. light LME
.66 lbs. light DME
1 lb. 2 row pale malt (steeped)
2 oz. crystal 90L
3 oz. chocolate malt
10 oz. roasted barley
12 oz. cane sugar

1.9 oz. Willamette (5% AA) 60 mins
.25 oz. E.K. Goldings (4.8 AA) 15 mins

White Labs WLP005 (Dry English Ale)

Notes:
Steep all crushed grains at 150° in 1.35 gallons of water for 45 minutes. Add 1.2 gallons of water and DME to "grain tea" and bring to a boil. Add willamette hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add LME, sugar and EKG hops for final 15 minutes. Cool, siphon to fermenter, aerate and pitch yeast.

Walker said:
Truble's going to be brewing stouts for ever at this rate. The next Guiness.

-walker

I'm kind of in a stout kick right now too--so after my Guinness clone is all drank up I'm going to attempt this, or another dry stout. My Guinness clone is okay but too much roasted barley I think.
You'd think stout would be an easy brew but I've done 2 and they just aren't "right". Neither one was dry enough for me.

I am doing my stout this weekend, finally. I had opted to do another ale, an irish red, first, to get some short term drinkable brew done, as my first batch has officially been designated an endangered species. I am not going for anything too complicated.

Here is the recipe (mostly from Malker's original link post, but I have shanged it a little)

Dark LME 6.6 lbs **EDIT I had posted 3.3 lbs originally- it is 6.6lbs**
Dark DME 3.5 lbs
Black Patent Malt 1.5lb (Muntons English Grain)
Roasted Barley 1lb (Muntons English Grain)
Chocolate Malt 1 lb (Munotns English Grain)
Fuggles Pellets 1ozx3
Goldings Pellets 1 ozx2
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

well i guess since we're posting stouts........

10lbs light dry malt extract(save 3/4 of a cup for bottling)
.5lbs roasted barley
.5lbs chocolate malt
1 16oz jar of Grandma's Robust Flavor Molasses
6oz northern brewer hops pellets
2oz cascade hops pellets
2 packets of edme dry ale yeast

start with 1 gallon of water. steep grains in water(almost boiling) for 1 hour. once finished, add 2 more gallons of water, malt extract, molasses and northern brewer hops. boil for 45 mins. then add cascade hops for 15 mins. take off heat and let cool. pour into fermenter and add 2 more gallons of cold water. pitch yeast when wort is between 65-75 degrees. ferment for 1 week(mine fermented out in 24 hours, but i left it in there for a week anyway) it was a very strong, very dark brew. i loved it!! enjoy!!!

this one i made up myself after looking at an imperial stout recipe at a HBS and tweated it to be my own. i actually brewed it for a brew off with a co-worker. his was a kit beer he told me straight that mine blew his out of the water. i kinda want to brew it again, but right now i'm getting ready to move and i'm not gonna have the time to age it, i can't send my beer back to the states!! have to drink it all before i leave.

I'm right now bottle-conditioning the Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout clone that appeared recently in byo. It finished at 1.016 and included oak cubes and a vanilla bean in the secondary...tasted good. The oak and vanilla really seemed to work well together even though they still have a lot of potential for maturing with age. Hope I manage to let a sixer or two of them "grow up".

justbrewit said:
i kinda want to brew it again, but right now i'm getting ready to move and i'm not gonna have the time to age it, i can't send my beer back to the states!! have to drink it all before i leave.

If you are in the service (or a civilian working for the forces - like me) they'll ship full bottles back for you.

I have all mine shipped over (full) and cases sent back without breaking a bottle. And that was in February.

ORRELSE said:
Here's the BYO clone:

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.007
IBU: 38
SRM: 41
ABV: 4.0

2.66 lbs. light LME
.66 lbs. light DME
1 lb. 2 row pale malt (steeped)
2 oz. crystal 90L
3 oz. chocolate malt
10 oz. roasted barley
12 oz. cane sugar

1.9 oz. Willamette (5% AA) 60 mins
.25 oz. E.K. Goldings (4.8 AA) 15 mins

White Labs WLP005 (Dry English Ale)

Notes:
Steep all crushed grains at 150° in 1.35 gallons of water for 45 minutes. Add 1.2 gallons of water and DME to "grain tea" and bring to a boil. Add willamette hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add LME, sugar and EKG hops for final 15 minutes. Cool, siphon to fermenter, aerate and pitch yeast.

Anybody done a stout recipe like this? I'm interested in trying it but somewhat leary of using cane suger in a brew, everything I've read so far recommends against it. Is the suger there to keep the FG down? What's the word?

You're right, the cane sugar will help it come out dry and low on OG. 12oz of cane sugar shouldn't hurt anything, although it's towards the high end as far as % of fermentables (for my tastes anyways).

LupusUmbrus said:
You're right, the cane sugar will help it come out dry and low on OG. 12oz of cane sugar shouldn't hurt anything, although it's towards the high end as far as % of fermentables (for my tastes anyways).

Is that true? (Might explain why the "dry" stouts I've been brewing haven't been very dry. The next one I do I'm going to mash higher and see if that helps things.)

I assumed the cane sugar was in there only to up the ABV%.

The stout is in the primary. what a $%#&% pain in the @ss today's brew was!!

and to boot, I screwed up the recipe a little, turning the brew from a strong stout to something much more- OG of 1.090. Got a little carried away with the steeping grain. Smelled like heaven, though, and the airlock is already burping after under 2 hours. This one could get messy.

Is your volume off perhaps? The extracts you use should have resulted in around 1.080 by themselves, although I'm surprised you hit another 10 points steeping grains (although I don't really know much about it).

Volume was spot on at just over 5Gal- I added some cooled boiled water to the bucket and mixed prior to taking the reading- it was right. I knew that it was going to be a big boy, but I am somewhat surprise how big. I will be posting about the night's fiasco in the Discussions Group.

Truble said:
Volume was spot on at just over 5Gal- I added some cooled boiled water to the bucket and mixed prior to taking the reading- it was right. I knew that it was going to be a big boy, but I am somewhat surprise how big. I will be posting about the night's fiasco in the Discussions Group.

I'm sure it was because of that cane sugar.

That is not the recipe that I used-check the second post in this thread for a link that walker posted. I modified that recipe and came up with the one I used. The one I used is also posted in here somewhere, and had no sugar. I used 6.6LB LME, 4LB DME, and 3.5 LB grains (chocolate, roast barley, and black patent)

If I added sugar, I think it might have turned solid :)

Truble said:
That is not the recipe that I used-check the second post in this thread for a link that walker posted. I modified that recipe and came up with the one I used. The one I used is also posted in here somewhere, and had no sugar. I used 6.6LB LME, 4LB DME, and 3.5 LB grains (chocolate, roast barley, and black patent)

If I added sugar, I think it might have turned solid :)

OMG! yeah, I'd say 10.5 lbs of extract would do it!!!!

Yep- I had bought some extract to have on hand for proofing, starters, etc. Without thinking, I dumped that in too. I am hoping that it isn't too strong. If so, I will dilute it a little. Should be very tasty though, as the wort was already pretty good.

Beamish Stout (Irish Ale)

Brewcraft Premium Imported Irish Stout
170g chocolate malt(crushed)
200g Roasted barley
500g Dry Wheat Malt
500G Dark Dried Malt
15G Goldings Hop Pellets
Safale S-04 yeast
Final volume 18L

Vrubg 2L of water to the boil, add malt & grains, reduce heat & Simmer for 15 Minutes. Add the hopes & Increase heat to boil for the last minute. Rest for 15 mins then strain. Continue brewing as normal. Bottle using only o f the bottling sugar.

Back